or Connect

Posts by Peter1

Hey, that's the way they were. I wore the canvas version as a kid. I loved the chunky foam tongue! The cool thing to do was to leave the top eyelet open and yank the tongue up high, then peg your jeans.
I always find it creepy/disturbing when you're at a meeting and the guy next to you isn't wearing an undershirt, and you catch glimpses of a hairy body. Seriously, if you sweat at all, an undershirt is required. Of course to each his own but it's like a belt to me -- you're not fully dressed for work in a professional environment if you're not wearing one.
I checked out the new Men's Shop in the Time Warner Center today -- when I walked in there were about 10 SA's and JC mid-level managers critiquing and tweaking the displays. Having been in the Liquor Store outpost a few times, this one feels pretty generic. The lighting is a little dim, too. As for the clothes, big push on Aldens and suiting/sports coats. As usual what stands out is that JCrew clothing suffers in comparison to the outside brands they carry. I'm in the...
mmm...dunno about that. I like fashion/style/whatever for the clothes, but I'm equally interested in branding and how brands cultivate an audience...This is a good read, if you haven't seen it.http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/business/flash-sale-site-turns-to-more-traditional-retail-models.html?_r=1&ref=technology
Proud to fly the hipster flag. But seriously, the mass market rarely pays dividends in quality and originality.
Timpoblete, you're sort of the EG guru here...what do you make of the move to a mainstream retailer?I'm going to sound like a grumpy old grouch but I hate when "my" brands/music/restaurants/etc. move to a bigger stage, so to speak. I can't think of a single one that improved by going bigger.
That Park & Bond thing is fascinating. I see a couple of S2W8 pieces in there in addition the bag, I think. IMO, not the best EG or S2W8 cuts. But maybe -- hopefully -- that's the plan. I.E., use P&B to move slow sellers or esoteric pieces, and keep the good stuff for the longtime stockists.
I'd wear it with a white ocbd (any brand), washed but not ironed, and well-worn in denim. I think it needs "quiet" clothes around it.
I saw Mike's response about buying what's initially comfortable. But my experience is that they do stretch an inch; I'd say my olive ripstop pair has stretched more than that. If you are mail ordering I'd get two sizes to be sure. If you can tuck a T-shirt and buttondown in and get a few fingers in the waist after lunch, that should be fine.
If you're looking for a heavyweight slim/straight khaki, I can recommend the new Studio D'Artisan http://bit.ly/vDir42 I went TTS with the 32's -- they aren't tapered but the top block is pretty fitted and I'd say it's a medium-low rise. Not for those with chunky thighs. Fit aside, the fabric is phenomenal; it's mercerized and looks to be around 11-12oz. At $185 they aren't cheap, though, but I'd guess they'll wear like iron. Edit: Got 2 compliments from random women...