or Connect

Posts by Peter1

Quote: Originally Posted by bawlin Carhartt makes some awesome chinos. Too bad there's only 3 or 4 retailers in North America. Are you referring to the 1922 series or the Japanese/Euro models? I tried on the 1922 at Jcrew and found them to be extremely "traditional" fit -- hi rise, stovepipe legs -- which is the point, I guess. Great fabric. Just FYI: http://www.carhartt-wip.com/
I looked closely at a bunch of Walk-Overs today at a new shop at 41st and 6th (used to be a sneakerhead shop, now "workwear" -- about 1 year too late but whatever). Price -- 225 -- is on point, I think, maybe a smidge too high. But they are US made. I might go back and try on a pair. I don't think they're a particularly graceful shoe. The triple-stitched vamp looks a little clunky and the toe box looks a little long. I'm by no means a shoe expert but quality-wise I'd...
Quote: Originally Posted by Teger no, it's true. things like converses and air jordans are amazingly designed. there's a reason jordans have been around and popular for 30+ years, and it's not just marketing. there's a big post on SZ about this if you want some painful ontological exploration of the subject, but it comes down to this: what you're judging as "design" is really "interesting/new", which yes, is an element of design, but it's much harder to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Teger uh i know you are all bonering out over julius, but air jordans probably represent better design than anything you or i wear (unless those things are air jordans) "Better" or "more appealing to the masses?"
All I would say about the the JCrew shopping "experience" that the OP had is that it's certainly no more uncomfortable than walking into a place like Hollander and Lexer or Nepenthes and getting the stinkeye from the "salesman" because you're not swagged out and dripping with trust fund money.
Quote: Originally Posted by Teger very few options for tall guys with big necks shoulders but a narrow waste. boo has the perfect shoulder/chest/neck measurement, an awesome taper.. if only it was like a LITTLE longer. epaulet is good. so is H&M for dress shirts. Have you tried BB extra slim fit? Tails are longer b/c they're made to be tucked. Some of the styles are a little dowdy, but for a basic OCBD can't be beat for the end of year sale...
Quote: Originally Posted by grit This is a good point. Does anyone know of a tailoring solution to mitigate the flare? Or are quarter-top pockets really the only way to go? I can't think of one. The other problem with side seam pockets is that stuff can fall out more easily. There is a reason that fine MC slacks are nearly universally quarter top. I don't have a lot of "rules" for clothing, but "no side-seam pockets" is one that I won't...
The loose pants are interesting. I wonder if others will tilt toward stovepipe legs.
I think the fit pic on the Baron Wells chinos (as well as the Unises) shows why quarter-top pockets work better than side seam ones -- you always have some sort of flare, and it only gets worse as the pocket fabric stretches from repeatedly putting your hand in and taking it out. It's especially noticeable on slim fitting pants, in which you really want to have a clean line from waist to hem. I only buy quarter-top pants (like EP's) now.
So...here is the $150 question: Do the double soled mocs have any usefulness in the city? I can't really get a straight answer (though I did see a guy wearing them on 9th ave in Chelsea the other day.) I don't really want to buy a pair of glorified bedroom slippers that I can't wear outside. Would they just get permanently mucked up by walked around the subway stations?