or Connect

Posts by Peter1

Insoles and thick socks
A long-awaited follow up to a necro post...I did finally pick up a pair of Newbury black jodhpurs last week on sale for 130 euros. I dithered because I kept thinking I should spring for a higher end pair from C&J, then I thought, well, maybe I won't like jodhpurs...you know how it goes.Anyway, they are quite comfortable right out of the box. The leather is a tad less rich-looking than I might want, and it's definitely not a "dress" last, but at the price, no complaints....
Very nice.How did you size? Have been eyeing the Vigny for a while. I've found Paraboot's chunkier offerings to be .5 large...thank.s
One point, and it's an important one, is that CM has to have rules, because for the most part you're going to wear classic menswear in a business environment, and whether you like it or not, if you either don't know the rules or willfully flout them, you're going to get marked down.That goes for actual business conduct, too: t here is a narrow range of ways to behave, how to present yourself and your company, and how to interact with your co-workers.The two sides of the...
Just picked up the jacquard fleece snap cardigan...i was skeptical of both the snaps and the synthetic content, but I'm a believer. Plus it was 30% off at French Trotters for those in the Paris region (not much great EG on sale but SNS Herning is 30-40 pct off.). I'm 5'11" 160 with a 39" chest and the M fits perfectly. I think it will look great with beat up denim and a white T with chunky boots. I did finally try on a Stark, but it's not for me. The wool is frankly...
+1 on the pleated pants. I'm pretty happy with the flat-front trend over the last decade, though I've still got a bunch of good-quality double pleated suit pants from the (ahem) 90s and early 2000s. But...I like cuffs, and they just don't look right with flat-front pants to me. So maybe a single reversed pleat is a happy medium. I do think pleats work best on dark wool, and still a big no on pleated khakis...
I think a medium is going to be too long in the sleeves for you. For comparison, I wear a medium, and I'm 5'11" 160 lbs, 39" chest and 18" shoulders, 32-33 waist. I've tried on larges and the sleeves are too long and there's too much material around the waist area. I do find some GV shirts a smidge tight across the chest -- depending on fabric/year/mood of cutter, there's a fair amount of variation within a size. To my eye it fits like a GV should, but if it's...
I was interested as I grew up in that area. But...not sure what's distinctive about the boot. Looks very much like OSB for maybe a little less money. Guess that's the draw? I think there's an opening for a casual work-style US-made boot that slots in between RW/Wolverine and Viberg. Sweet spot would be $350-550, depending on leathers. Once you get over $500 you're looking at some of the more rugged Alden makeups or Tricker's/Alfred Sargent country boots. The boot I've...
Just adding some data points here...picked up a pair of slim/straight "raw" selvedge denim for 19.90 euros. I sized up 1 in the waist (usually 32x34) cause the top block was a little smaller than I thought it would be and I wasn't sure if they'd stretch. I plan on wearing for a couple of weeks then warm soaking if they seem a little stiff. Fabric is pretty thin -- I usually wear 14-16 oz Japanese denim -- I'd say these are 11-11.5 oz. Construction is spot on from what I...
Re haircuts: Japanese salons are where it's at -- mine has groovy vintage US music and reiki massage. I pay about $40-45 at Hoshi Coupe in Paris (they have branches in NYC, Berlin and the original in Kyoto(. I find the Japanese obsession with detail gets me a great cut, although it literally can take an hour...my wife jokes that they cut each hair individually.