or Connect

Posts by austinite

Quote: Originally Posted by Eason I don't think a physical note is good. If somebody sent me a physical letter, I'd think they're kind of weird, like my uncle who does Sherlock Holmes role-play and goes on trips with school-boys. Anyway, a key thing in a thank you note is definitely not just saying "thank you" but hopefully to bring up something that you enjoyed/found interesting/they found interesting during your interview. If you didn't have any of...
You're a college graduate looking for full time work. To me you are getting lowballed by being offered an internship anyway, so I wouldn't feel too bad changing my mind when a full time offer came. That being said, if you actively sought out this internship and wrote a long cover letter explaining how they should still consider you because you are more interested in learning than starting your career, that would change things a bit. I was in a similar situation to...
Music major and "can afford to lose 10k GPB" don't add up to me.
Steve Blank has a really interesting blog that is primarily focused on developing a repeatable process for successful entrepreneurship. He does teach some programs but they don't meet your admissions requirement. There are basic business programs that will teach you finance, accounting, etc. Beyond that it seems to me that your best option is self study. Ultimately you are much more likely to be limited by not having the balls to start a company than lack of knowledge,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marshmallow Thank you yachting man for your honesty. I discouraged my son from pursuing ib (it would have been hard for him to get in but he had a shot) because I thought the lifestyle seemed brutal. He will be starting at a big4 accounting firm - he found he liked accounting. I have felt guilty about subtly discouraging ib but your post made me realize that I did the right thing for him. My son, however, is happy with his...
nt
Quote: Originally Posted by gfreeman Well, I'm happy to say I got the job. Decent starting salary, with lots of room to move up. Benefits, sweet downtown office, et cetera. Congrats. What type of company is it?
Quote: Originally Posted by clee1982 Fresh out of school guys actually do contribute a lot, all my friends are in engineering (as I was in engineering, though never did an engineering job, straight to finance). Maybe it takes them 3 month to gets the hands on (or longer depends on what exactly), but the pay off is there. Bank's internal IT department (the guys who write applications, not the call center fix some outlook/excel issue) works more like...
I just made a post about Pharmacy in the starting salaries thread. I definitely do not mean to be a resident Pharmacy expert, I'm an engineer and know pretty much NOTHING about it. That out of the way, it seems that pharmacy would be a poor choice for your living abroad requirement. Most of your value is tied into the legal requirement of needing a licensed pharmacist to dispense medication. Different laws in different countries could result in drastically decreased...
Quote: Originally Posted by pronov My brother is a pharmacist and that's roughly what he started out at. Depending on what situation you are in, you can either be overworked or under worked. Walmart for example usually has a high work flow rate whereas kmart you sit around doing nothing all day, which in some ways can be worse because the time passes so slowly. As for it being a depressing job, my brother says he loves it. He gets mad because I think...