or Connect

Posts by austinite

I think Computer Science is the best if you want to be entrepreneurial. In comparison to other types of products, it takes far less capital to start a software oriented company. At this point I think software people also have the best job prospects in general with the exception of Petroleum. Not sure if "make enough money to retire early" is a good goal. You should probably look for something that you could potentially enjoy for a lifetime and then try to get rich...
My experience is that the "offer rescinded because of excessive negotiation attempt" can in fact happen, particularly if you go about the negotiation the wrong way. By that I don't necessarily mean kicking and screaming like a 3 year old that wants candy, but doing things like taking too much time to respond, going through too many back and forth iterations, or trying to negotiate in the wrong area (for instance asking for more time off at a company with a culture of 80...
You are right. Apologies for that comment. For me, the instability aspect was not too big of a drawback. Salary and work/life balance are sacrificed though.
I've been working at a startup since I got out of school (3 years.) I'm sacrificing pretty heavily in terms of salary. Considering benefits (health insurance, 401k matching, vacation, etc) I'm only getting paid 50% what I could get in about one day of job hunting. That said, I still live comfortably and I strongly believe that my equity position will make it more than worth my while. The experience has been awesome for me. I think I've learned more in 3 years here...
Wow. Awkward situation. You might want to talk to a lawyer?
I'm also an occasional smoker; probably a couple of times per month on average. I don't like weed enough to go through the hassle of buying it, but I usually don't decline it when offered in social situations. I've had an experience where I had to take a test a few days after last smoking. Essentially there are two things you need to do: 1.) Dilute your urine - drink a lot of water. 2.) Mask the fact that you diluted your urine - take vitamin B to make it yellow, take...
I'm a 25 year old professional, I buy various index funds in $2-3k chunks for my retirement, "someday buy a house", and "someday start a business" savings. I like it better than trying to pick stocks for sure. I would never invest any money that you absolutely know you will need in the stock market, though.
If you are only making $60k/yr now, I don't understand why you think you need to make $250k/yr for it to be worth it. You could probably get six figures post-MBA without too much trouble, and that difference would pay off the degree rather quickly. I think the general consensus is that an MBA is not worth it purely for education (ie to help you run your business.) You will definitely learn extremely useful things, but it's not worth 100k+opportunity cost until you add...
Patent law seems like it would be unbelievably boring to me. I'm not a lawyer but I have worked on filing a few patents. It might just take a certain type of brain.
You are right, that is very unscientific. At my university students involved in the Greek system had significantly better GPAs on average than did non-Greeks.Like others have said, I wouldn't put it in unless you did something REALLY special.