or Connect

Posts by austinite

It's really no different in the long term. The advantage of the ETF is that it is more diversified and more liquid.The value of a regular bond goes up and down based on supply and demand just the same as the ETF. The only difference is that with the ETF you can see the value on a day to day basis and are aware of it. If you hold the fund to maturity the value swings will not be relevant. The varying dividend is equivalent to buying new bonds at a regular interval. ...
In a 401K I would only buy BND and VTI, but that's just me. I don't see the point of holding gold in a long term account. If you want an extra hedge against inflation sub out some of the BND for VTIP or BSV.Also, if you want to do a mixture of buy-and-hold index investing and market-timing stock picking I would definitely make sure to do the latter in the tax-advantaged account.
I thought it was the opposite. For instance, VTI has a lower expense ratio than does it's equivalent index fund VTSMX (.05 vs .17). The advantage of the index fund is that it can be purchased without commissions and in any increment. You are right that the ETF market order has risk, though I would argue that it is irrelevant for a long term investor.At the end of the day, both options are going to get you far more diversification and save you money on taxes in...
This is a lifesaver for me.. Especially for the people that feel the need to hold a daily 20 minute personal call in front of the entire office. (luckily one of the guys who always did this got fired)
While I personally think the entire concept of an MBA/undergrad degree is very silly, I think that if you are two classes away from the degree, then just go ahead and get it. You should get some work experience before worrying about potentially going for a more prestigious MBA. I think college students sometimes see careers as being far more linear than they really are. You don't need a specific set of degrees to achieve the career path you are looking for. You also...
6.8% may not be terrible, but IMO it is still high enough that paying it off should be priority number #1 for you. A guaranteed 6.8% return is pretty damn good.
How old/experienced are you? If you are young, I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview. It can come across as disrespectful even at a casually dressed place. I might wear more casual shoes than traditional interview wear and skip the jacket or tie. I wouldn't cut out slacks or a dress shirt.
You are right, not sure what I was thinking there.
Yeah, by its nature, an IRA allows you to take on whatever risk level you want (you pick the investments). To start you always want to max anything your company matches. That is free money. After that I would focus on anything that is 100% tax free like an HSA. Then I would do the Roth IRA provided your income is in range. If you have anything left after that you can do a traditional IRA. I probably wouldn't put anything in the 401k beyond what gets matched.
No, not necessarily. It's not abnormal for them to make all of their phone interviews, evaluate them, and then decide who to bring in person. I would say that a large company with a very formal hiring process (ie: lots of HR people) would be more likely to handle it that way.