or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

Of course the other companies you named make great watches. That is not debated. However, I don't think it is controversial to say that Patek stands apart. The Ivy League schools are all great--but then there is Harvard. Similar story. And I am neither a Patek collector nor Harvard alum.Personally, I'm more interested in some of the independents (Journe, Dufour, Ferrier, etc.), as I think they are doing the more innovative, best quality watchmaking today. But they are not...
Auction and resale numbers are enough to tell the story. It's painful for me to contemplate buying a Lange new when they can be had at such steep discounts in the secondhand market. That said, Lange is not alone in this regard. As you know, most makes suffer from heavy depreciation after purchase. Patek and Rolex are the exceptions.Collector anecdote is corroborating. If you track the experience of a lot of well-known collectors, they tend to ultimately converge on Patek...
Yes, thank you.On one level of analysis, we should be questioning whether certain features or complications make sense together. This is extremely pertinent now, when high-end watchmakers tend to flock toward whatever complication happens to be most fashionable and senselessly combine as many complications as possible into a single watch. I am not critiquing the Lange 1 on these grounds.However, we should also be critical of how elegantly and efficiently such complications...
To re-state the obvious: yes.No. What you do not seem to grasp is that the Lange 1 is not a particularly complicated watch. None of its features are significant complications; power reserve indicators and big dates do not need to add meaningful thickness to a movement. In contrast, automatic rotors and central second hands, which are far more common and less eye-dazzling to newbie watch hobbyists, do.  See above comment.Also, you are missing the argument. The point is...
For sale are two Eames LCW chairs in Santos Palisander. These are official versions produced by Herman Miller. They are in excellent / near mint condition. Please see photos for detail. The retail price for each is $1,468.00. Happy to sell as a pair or individually, though they were made at the same time with matching veneers and would make a great set. Asking $550 for each chair, excluding delivery. We are located in Greenwich Village / NoHo in New York City, if local...
If it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right. But I would not visit tailors in Naples (or anywhere) just to window shop. Go with the serious intention to start an order, but don't feel pressured if you don't feel like it will go well.
Come again?No one is getting a "pass" for anything. The 5054's officer case is thicker because it has an added feature, the hinged back. The Lange 1 case does not have a hinged back and cannot be made any thinner. The watch is thicker than it needs to be because of the movement, the design of which was compromised to look "German" and evoke the company's distance history in pocket watches and marine chronometers.This all touches back on a previous point about good design...
5296 is not the watch I'm looking at, but it is a good benchmark. The 5054 you referenced is far less comparable--it has an officer's case, with a hinged back, which adds another 2+ mm to the thickness. Anyway, I provided very specific commentary in my last post regarding the thickness required for the complications in question.I didn't say chatons impact performance one way or another. But they don't decorate anything necessary for the movement (unlike blueing of screws,...
Tank Louis Cartier Extra Flat in rose gold, with Piaget ultra-thin movement. Sold already.
I won't dispute that the Lange 1 has a unique dial design. However, other than the big date, I don't agree its features should add any thickness versus the 5296 benchmark.Sub-seconds, for example, do not require the extra gear train that central seconds do--that actually ought to be a disadvantage for the Patek and an advantage for the Lange 1, not the other way around. Power reserve indicators also do not need to add thickness. Really, the only feature that does is the...