or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

Also, the unusual, "untested" automatic winding system this guy is talking about is the Pellaton system, which was designed by IWC in the 1940's and has been used by the company since. It is actually one of the innovations chiefly responsible for IWC's post-war reputation and status, as it is extremely efficient, yet simple.One of the 5000 caliber's strengths is winding efficiency. The engineer's intent was that the automatic winding would keep the power reserve at a...
It's not that there will be any issues. It is a perfectly good movement. The point is that the bigger case is a wasted opportunity to make it even better.
Did I say that every bigger movement is perfectly executed? I thought I was quite clear: smaller movements face more limitations. If given the opportunity to make a movement bigger, there is no reason not to other than time and money.The 5000-series movement is not weak in all the areas I pointed out. Its specific weakness is rate stability, which is a compromise for longer power reserve without resorting to two barrels. Most long power reserve watches need more than one...
Yes, that's where the movement ends. The "correct" case diameter should be more like 34-35mm, not 37mm.Undersized movements are not just an aesthetic assault. Smaller movements carry all sorts of compromises to performance. You will lose durability, rate stability, or power reserve (or all of the above) versus a larger movement--since, all else being equal, you cannot fit in as large a spring barrel or balance wheel without reductions to the bridges and plates. In other...
Gorgeous. Everyone should have a Reverso.
The 5196 is far worse--but at least they had the good sense to use a solid caseback.
I sincerely doubt the finishing on the 37mm will be of a lesser grade. Lange does not moderate their finishing quality for price level. Anyway, initial photos suggest it will be every bit as well done as the 40mm Saxonia or any other Lange for that matter.Does the undersized movement seriously not bother anyone else? To me, that is an unforgivable trespass.
Of course the other companies you named make great watches. That is not debated. However, I don't think it is controversial to say that Patek stands apart. The Ivy League schools are all great--but then there is Harvard. Similar story. And I am neither a Patek collector nor Harvard alum.Personally, I'm more interested in some of the independents (Journe, Dufour, Ferrier, etc.), as I think they are doing the more innovative, best quality watchmaking today. But they are not...
Auction and resale numbers are enough to tell the story. It's painful for me to contemplate buying a Lange new when they can be had at such steep discounts in the secondhand market. That said, Lange is not alone in this regard. As you know, most makes suffer from heavy depreciation after purchase. Patek and Rolex are the exceptions.Collector anecdote is corroborating. If you track the experience of a lot of well-known collectors, they tend to ultimately converge on Patek...
Yes, thank you.On one level of analysis, we should be questioning whether certain features or complications make sense together. This is extremely pertinent now, when high-end watchmakers tend to flock toward whatever complication happens to be most fashionable and senselessly combine as many complications as possible into a single watch. I am not critiquing the Lange 1 on these grounds.However, we should also be critical of how elegantly and efficiently such complications...