or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

I haven't spent much time in MC in years, so can't speak to what it's like anymore. But the design/furniture thread is fairly predictable, even though there are divergent points of view. Frankly, it's pretty sleepy over there.What's wrong with criticism, though? Not much fun or use if every post were guaranteed praise/adulation.Not true at all. Come on, man--you usually start the discussion with some idea that is not bad or offensive--such as, "I really like the Eames...
Maybe his point is that if you post a picture of a mediocre, no-design chair in a design-focused discussion thread, you shouldn't be surprised if said chair is negatively received?
But that's because of the chair . . .Put another way, the center of the screen should not change heights between television sets, regardless of size. Hence, the larger the television, the closer to the floor.
People seem very reluctant do show their living spaces. Odd on forum where people regularly post pictures of themselves. What's the issue?
Got it--if you need it to hold media equipment and pass-through to the drywall, makes sense.Otherwise, I like the idea of a standing credenza because it functions and appears more as a piece of furniture than as a room feature. You can move it around to define spaces and it can be used to visually counterbalance other pieces (chairs, tables, etc.).I understand why someone would want to show the joinery, but personally, I'd prefer the blind joints all around. More discreet...
Our solution (or, rather, compromise) is that all seating in the living room is oriented toward conversation/socialization--which is to say, facing each other and centered around a coffee table. But the sofa happens to face the television. It is the only place from which television watching is optimal or comfortable. In other words, when my wife and I want to watch TV together and we are by ourselves, the arrangement works very well. But if we have a bunch of guests over,...
Not going to happen. TV is too damned good these days. What would I talk to all my fellow Manhattanites about?They are also the culprits behind accent walls, yes? Bastards.Yeah, I think this is the (sad?) truth. TV and socializing are often more intertwined than they necessarily should be, but that is the reality of things.Actually, these do exist . . .
Eh. Theoretically I could squeeze in such space, but that would force other compromises worse than just including the TV in the living room.
Regardless of where you live, simply adding a new room or relocating all television activities to an existing room is not really a solution unless it makes sense for your lifestyle. As Medwed points out, for many, TV-watching is a more casual and regular affair that needs to more integrated with common living spaces. Otherwise, you'd find yourself sequestered to your "TV room" all the time--and then that room might as well be your living room.But I get it--what I'm asking...
Right. Just add another room. Makes sense. Why didn't I think of that?I will have to see about getting my tenement board to approve.Duh. Didn't you hear them? Get. A. Separate. Room.Well, that's just retarded. Don't know why anyone ever thought putting a TV over the fireplace made sense.