Posts by mafoofan

Those are marketing photos. The point was to show the sofas--the settings, combinations, etc., are extraneous. Let's not get distracted.Are you opposed to rectangles in general or merely "soul-less" ones? If the latter, please point in the direction of rectangles--or, barring that, other polygons--that come with sufficient soul.
Recently had another pour of Bruichladdich Black Art--still one of my favorite whiskies.
To be fair, the 4C is a special animal. Nothing but a Lotus Elise/Exige come close to offering the same combination of price, dynamics and driving experience--and neither of those are sold in the US anymore, nor have a carbon fiber chassis. The carbon chassis alone is so unique and exceptional at $60K, I don't think one can knock the 4C for many of its compromises versus the German competition, as it isn't really competition.The Quadrifoglio is a totally different...
I don't like the proportions. Appears very bottom-heavy--though the sectional version is less awkward.It's sort of a neither-here-nor-there design. If seeking to emphasize volume, I think there are many better choices. Some ideas:Extra Wall - Pierro Lissoni / Living DivaniExtrasoft - Pierro Lissoni / Living DivaniSuperoblong - Jasper Morrison / CappelliniTufty-Time - Patricia Urquiola / B&B Italia
Well, hold on--the eBay'ed Sub is a 5510, a particularly rare, early model. It has the big crown and no crown guards. It is not uncommon for them to sell for over $100K. The watch in question sold for $66K in spite of its poor condition, not because of it. Had it been in better shape, the price would have been higher.If any used Sub will do, a late model from the 90's or 00's in not-great condition can be had for ~$4K or less.No, Leica never says the phrase "wabi sabi" in...
Yeah, honest wear-and-tear and the "right" kind of patina on hands and dials is highly valued on vintage Subs and other Rolex sport watches.However, that is largely because a truly new-condition vintage Rolex sport watch is exceedingly rare and the patina is supposed to imply that a watch has not been excessively refinished. If one could find an unworn, perfect, as-new version of any vintage Rolex, it would be worth magnitudes more than the equivalent watch that has been...
Nitro can be touched up while poly can't--so I suppose there is a real benefit there. Supposedly, poly doesn't allow the wood to breathe and vibrate as freely, dulling the tone--but I think that is a load of hogwash. High-end luthier-made acoustic steel strings generally use poly finishes. When applied using the best technique, a poly finish is much thinner than the thinnest nitro finishes.The raw hides they use on those handles definitely do patinate, as evidenced by my...
A prime example of defensible marketing and design sympathetic to wabi sabi: black paint Leica cameras. Older Leica camera bodies were made of brass and painted black. Over time and through use, the paint would wear away in places and the brass would start to show through (a coveted effect that Leica enthusiasts call "brassing"). Sometime later, Leica switched to zinc bodies with a black anodized finish ("black chrome"), which does not age as gracefully. In recent years,...
Maybe it is much of the time--but some materials, finishes, designs, etc., definitely take on wear better than others. Until relatively recently, I did not fully appreciate the different kinds of wood finishing prevalent in modern furniture. Now, almost all of our wood furniture is soaped--versus oiled or coated in polyurethane--as the soaped finish is both easier to clean/restore and ages more gracefully when allowed to do so. Cracked, yellowed polyurethane is just plain...
It comes painted in different colors. I like it in white. The proportions are perfect.The wood is oil-finished, so it is very matte in finish and sheen. However, I would not call it "rough." The surfaces are perfectly smooth and sharply defined.We use it in a very minimalist, white environment. Walls are white, without any moldings. Floors are bleached and white-oiled. The bed actually is a very good contrast.Can't speak to the Case Study bed, but I was not happy with...