or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

I've not shied away from backing my thoughts with knowledge, information, and examples. That they may not be opinions that float with TWAT groupthink does not make me a troll.Maybe you should be directing your criticism at the many others who populate this thread with unsupported, specious claims.
When you claim that Rolex movements contain cheap plasticky parts and that their main competitors are Tissot and Fossil, you undermine what could be thoughtful, useful conversation with misinformed, trollish bullshit. Calling you out on it is not an ad hominem. It's cutting to the chase.Blind, unsupported statements like "Patek finishing isn't what it used to be" are similarly pointless and distracting to productive conversation, and go to the heart of what is wrong with...
Legendary 1953-1960 Patek Caliber 12-600AT (company's first automatic movement, time only, no complications): 2004 Patek Caliber 315 (contemporary workhorse central rotor automatic movement, time only, no complications): Current Patek Caliber 324 (successor to the 315; same functions and virtually identical except for silicon balance spring, ceramic ball bearings for the rotor and faster beat)
Dude--because every high-end maker's watches are better finished then they were 10, 20, 30, 50 years ago. Finishing quality is a function of precision. Precision is a function of available tools. Tools today are better. Technology, automation, computers, CNC machines, etc. On top of that, it is only since the 90's that people even started looking at their own watch movements. You're asking me to prove to you that cars are more or efficient than they were 50 years ago or...
Why don't you research your own watch first. Spend three minutes on Google. Would do you a world of good. Journe's "weak spot" has always been finishing. He is philosophically opposed to obsessive finishing and would rather focus his energy and resources on movement innovation. You buy a Journe for the eccentric character, for the beautiful design, for the beatiful movement, for the innovative design, etc.--and in spite of the good, but not particularly great,...
It's just laughable that someone who spent $25-30K on what is certainly a beautiful and enviable watch (one of my personal favorites, nonetheless) is so obviously unaware of it's pluses/minuses and fundamental ethos. What do you really even know about FP Journe? Journe himself openly admits in interviews that he cannot execute to Patek levels of finish and is not interested in doing so. Then you call Patek finishing second or third tier. Utterly ridiculous.
If you consider the below second or third tier finishing, I don't know how you examine your FP Journe without vomiting. This is uninformed commentary at it's worst.
Your "photographic evidence" compares contemporary Lange to contemporary Patek. Hence, I addressed that comparison.For the same reasons watch finishing has broadly improved across all brands, Patek finishing has gotten better: more precise tools and machinery, aided by computers, and consumers looking through display backs and reading blogs with zoomed-in digital photos.That said, movement design in the workhorse calibers is certainly less elaborate today, but that has to...
Sure, if you like. I am very familiar with how each finishes their movements. But such a comparison would be missing some key points.1. Beyond a certain level of excellence, movement finishing should not be a deciding factor in picking a watch. It would be the equivalent of choosing a bespoke tailor based on the fineness of his stitching. Too many other variables matter much more.2. Under-informed consumers, sapphire crystal display backs, high-magnification digital photos...
First of all, by "history" I don't mean sheer number of years. There has to be a combination of achievement, story, longevity and continuity. Rolex is younger than Seiko, but its technical innovations (watertight case, automatic winding, date complication, etc.) and the iconic status of its models (Submariner, Explorer, Day-Date, GMT-Master, Daytona, etc.) are leagues beyond. Seiko has generally been a follower, not a leader.Look, you can spend all the time you want trying...