Posts by mafoofan

The cork stools are fucking awesome.
Jasper Morrison
Pio, you need to add more herbs and seasonings . . . I over three hours is okay if your temp exceeds 130 degrees. 129 is the cut-off, I think.
"Careful execution" and "craftsmanship" are not the same thing. The latter generally refers to traditional handiwork by a skilled individual (i.e. a craftsman). You don't "craft" a Barcelona Chair or Knoll sofa--you manufacture it. To the extent handiwork is involved, it is due to necessity at the scale and price, not because it is preferred or viewed as a virtue. Any evidence that human hands had a part in making such furniture is tolerated, not celebrated.Yes, there...
Hmm. From my understanding, the only benefit of reverse searing versus sous vide is a supposedly better sear. But I've been able to get a pretty good sear on my sous vide steaks, and the other advantages are too great.I freeze for 20-30 minutes first, then pre-sear. This reduces the chance of cooking into the meat. After the water bath, you only need 30-45 seconds per side to re-crisp.I figure the pre-sear cannot hurt and only has potential benefits, but would be happy to...
It is definitively not. Try assessing an Eames fiberglass chair based on craftsmanship.
Well, keep in mind the Lissoni sofas are modular--you piece them together as fits your space and needs. The configurations you see are merely indicative of what's possible. I like them for their proportions and clean lines. Unlike the Urquoila sofa that started this discussion, the backs and seats are very balanced in perceived volume. If one wants a low, minimal, no-leg sofa, these are pretty great.As compared to the Florence Knoll, which we have in our living room, I...
Not sure what makes you call any of these mediocre. The designers/makers in question are some of the best."Craftsmanship" is not really an intelligible virtue when it comes to most modern design. Anyway, I don't think the pricing is really that unusual. You were looking at the outdoor version of the Extra Wall, and in a very expansive configuration. The regular indoor version in a still rather large setup goes for around £8,000, which is inline with what a three-seat...
Gomer and I are debating steak. What is your preferred cooking method? For highly marbled cuts over two inches in thickness, I like to sous vide--including a pre and post-sear. Reasoning is that traditional methods tend to leave the center too rare and the outside too well-done. To get the center correct, you risk drying-out the rest of the steak. In contrast, going the sous vide route, I can get the entirety of the steak to the slightly medium side of medium-rare, which...
Those are marketing photos. The point was to show the sofas--the settings, combinations, etc., are extraneous. Let's not get distracted.Are you opposed to rectangles in general or merely "soul-less" ones? If the latter, please point in the direction of rectangles--or, barring that, other polygons--that come with sufficient soul.