or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

Well, I'm not really looking to learn much anymore, that's true. However, the "utility" I want is insightful, thoughtful discussions about style and clothing. There used to be me much, much more of that--and there were virtually no tailors or vendors involved, save for Despos chiming in every now and again.Bottom line is that stylish, well-dressed men don't necessarily need to be technical or product experts (though they often know a thing or two, just out of pure...
We each have our own level of preference and tolerance for repeating the exact same outfit, yes. But that is a separate (though related) point. All I'm saying is that the jacket-and-tie outfit is highly pre-defined and itself a uniform, so people who denounce the uniform approach to men's classic dress really don't understand men's classic dress.
In fact, if my high school geometry is still coherent, the bigger the watches compared, the more that extra two millimeters matters. The surface area added gets bigger and bigger. So, even though the percentage difference in surface area between 42mm and 44mm watch is greater than between a 45mm and 47mm watch, the absolute difference is greater in the case of the latter, all while your wrist size remains constant.
By the way, that's partially why the white shirt and white square combination sucks. No nuance.
That is one iteration of the uniform, yes. Another is a tweed jacket, flannel trousers, blue shirt, and cream silk pocket square. Same components pieced together the same way. The difference is in the details.
Disagree. Two millimeters is a humongous jump. It's like a second off a 0-60 time.
Classic men's dress is like mid-century modern design or mechanical watches. It is a highly mature form of expression, if not already past its due date. "Innovation" doesn't really make sense in the context.Do people still come up with new words in Aramaic?
By definition, men's classic clothing is a uniform. The set of components are pre-defined. The forms of the components are pre-defined. The way they are pieced together is pre-defined. Once you've accepted the format, your choices are limited to nuance. It is not an accident that nuance and consistency of execution distinguish the best dressed, most stylish men. Don't kid yourself.
You're right about the Radiomir. Still, the point remains, the 47mm 1950 Luminor and 1940 Radiomir cases are much larger.
It's nothing personal about you, David. The point is simply that, in the aggregate, the utility of this forum has drastically declined for me over the years. Without hashing out all the reasons, one key element is the shift in focus toward vendor participation. Anyone who stands to economically benefit from saying one thing or another is obviously going to be biased, no matter how nice a guy. Anyways, even assuming a perfectly objective person, a tailor's knowledge is not...