Posts by mafoofan

Modernism is chiefly about improvement and progress without being held back by custom or tradition. Affordability to the masses is not a fundamental aspect--many modernists designed different products for different ends of the market. Personally, I've never felt compelled to choose between modern and traditional furniture due to pricing. It's silly to compare IKEA to high-end contemporary furniture makers. There is a very expansive quality difference. This is obvious when...
The "real" Masamoto only sells out of the Tsujiki fish market in Tokyo . . .
Pick me up a knife or two?
He is an unabashed admirer of mid-century design and makes a point of incrementally improving rather than reinventing the wheel or innovating for innovation's sake. Not sure if he specifically thought of the Eames stools when designing the cork stools, but it would not surprise.
WTF does one do with a 41mm Datejust?
Wasting my time responding to a nutjob, apparently . . .
Active prep time and cooking time are two different things. It sounds like multiple people in this thread don't have any experience with sous vide and may not understand how it works in practice--hence the ensuing discussion. What people already "in favour of sous vide" think is neither here nor there.
Cooking a steak in a pan also leads to the least consistent results.Dude--roma and others specifically questioned timing and ease-of-prep. In fact, you responded that there is less active time with sous vide, which I directly agreed with. As for cleaning, I was specific that you don't have to clean a roast pan, which you would need to do a roast/sear. In any case, there is a skillet involved.Wtf are you arguing?Have you not cooked sous vide? Think you might be projecting...
Conflating a few things here. There are two different issues: (1) does sous vide allow for a better steak, and (2) for same results, is sous vide easier than cooking steak the traditional ways?We can debate the first issue. For example, some people like a gradient doneness--there is nothing right or wrong about it. In that case, traditional methods are the only way to go. But for consistent doneness throughout, you need sous vide.However, when it comes to ease of prep,...
Right--the issue with timing for a steak is not that it will be overdone, but that after four hours, the texture of the meat begins to change (not in a good way).