or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

Obviously a better player can play better--but not all 50's LPs sound equally good in the same hands. Some '59 Bursts are known to be total duds.There is no mystical power at work here. We're talking about wood, steel, and magnets. It only makes sense that wood density and weight would effect tone. I might suck, but I still get a better tone out of some guitars versus others.This has been debated again and again on other forums. Wood resonance matters because it influences...
Second rate? wtf
The connection is the issue of optimal regulation.Even when regulations, such as zoning laws, are implemented by well-meaning, uncorrupted people, they can still be extremely wasteful. After all, they determine a priori how a particular resource should be allocated, although the best, most wealth-producing use may not be something conceivable by rule makers.Professional licenses make it harder (or legally impossible) for unapproved people to do a particular job. Thus,...
Who said anything about excessive?Take a Les Paul, for example. Sustain is not an issue, as mahagony is a heavy, dense wood. Energy travels more slowly through it. However, it can easily sound dark or murky. In contrast, resonance tends to increase clarity and acoustic volume. Hence, Les Pauls with lighter mahogany bodies are generally more valued.The point is, you need balance. Heavier wood being cheaper than lighter wood of the same variety (true for the ash and alder...
Custom Shop LPs are all nitro-finished. I think many of the regular Gibsons are too. However, the lacquer formula has changed over the years. The nitro used on original 50's LPs had much less plasticizer than today's. Thus, the vintage finishes are harder, more brittle, glassier, and prone to weather checking. The current nitro is a lot softer and malleable. It will not weather check, unless purposely forced under extreme conditions--even then, the checking is minimal and...
Yeah that would have been a contender, but I'm not sure it's better than the Moog. Lots of complaints about noise when the DMMTT 1100 is pushed toward its maximum delay setting.The Memory Lane 2 was discontinued a month or so ago, so availability is an issue. Also, based on what I've heard in demos, the Moog has smoother, creamier repeats. Others have described it as more "musical." That's what I'm looking for. Incidentally, it seems like quite a few people are dumping...
No way . . . in excellent condition they are around $1,000. Even then, you are stuck with all the reliability and maintenance issues associated with old mechanical tape delays.As far as drawing lines, let's keep in mind that the Fulltone with foot switch is over $1,500. That is twice what I paid for the Moog. That is a magnitude of difference, not an incremental one. Further, if you want the best, new, non-mechanical analog delay available, the Moog is a good candidate....
Only $1,300:The foot switch is only another couple hundred.
Building your own analog delay pedal doesn't bypass the hurdle of expensive chips. They don't make them anymore, so prices are only going up.Seems like even the best digital delays can't quite replicate the lushness of true analog. That said, there are a thousand other reasons to prefer digital. Digital gives you crisper, more perfect repeats, longer delay times, and infinitely more control.
Yeah, NOS Bucket Brigade chips have gotten extremely expensive--the MN3005s especially.