Posts by mafoofan

I'd shoot for more variance in pattern density and color saturation. As is, the scale of every pattern is too tight and similarly scaled. Combined with the mid-grey suit, mid-blue shirt, mid-red tie, and intricate, multi-color accented, cream/beige backgrounded pocket square, it's all too muddy and washed-out looking.Also, I'd prefer to see some curvature to the shirt collar. Straight-lined collars like that always look sharp and unnatural on a human neck.
I don't think "Neapolitan" styling cues ever took hold of the mainstream suit-wearing public--at least, not in the United States. While soft, natural shoulder lines, shirt-set sleeves, barchetta pockets, etc., certainly did become popular amongst menswear enthusiasts, they never became prevalent amongst guys going to work in midtown Manhattan. I don't think the average suit-wearing man in America can spot a lapped seam or tell you what "spalla camicia" means. Sure,...
Weird place to put a chaise longue--is your foyer the sort of place where one would want to lie down and relax?I'd think a bench would make more sense.
Bourdain is known to spit out his food off-camera after tasting it.Speaking of Jose Andres, we had an amazing dinner at Minibar a couple months ago. One of the best meals I've had in recent memory.
Ha--interesting. Bourdain is probably better known to the general population, but it's hard to miss Ripert if you know food.Did Bourdain swallow?Not surprised Bourdain's food wasn't great. On the few occasions I can recall that he's cooked for his TV shows, the results were not very well-received. Also, don't think he was ever a particularly accomplished chef, right? Especially when compared to a guy like Ripert.
Don't think he's been a "badass chef" since the early 00's. Aside from his annoying way of using French to say French-origin words that have long been anglicized (Meesh-lahn for Michelin, and even worse, looth-ee-ay for luthier), he's always put on a good show. He's got a knack for engaging the people he meets.
We had a Dyson. It was a piece of junk. Terrible build quality. Weak suction. Ugly. We switched to a Miele and have never looked back.
It's an enjoyable series, but one of the episodes features a furniture designer named Mats Christeen. He makes some truly awful stuff--particularly clumsy and cartoonish iterations of Brooklyn "design."So bad:
See here. If located in the New York City area, Prestige Furniture & Design and Simon's Upholstery are the best for mid-century modern classics, with the edge going to Prestige for overall quality (but for more money).I don't know how much a Womb chair would cost to re-upholster, but a sofa would be ~$2,000 for labor at Prestige and $1,200 at Simon's (in either case, not including fabric and delivery costs).
Sorry, just saw this. Where are you located?I've done the diligence on re-upholstering services in the NYC area. The two best I know of for contemporary/modern furniture are Simon's and Prestige Furniture and Design. I've used both for reupholstering my Florence Knoll sofa.Prestige is a bit pricier, but they have the stronger reputation and do a lot of work for the manufacturers themselves. Knoll, for example, uses Prestige to re-upholster the furniture in their showrooms...