or Connect

Posts by mafoofan

Are you e-mailing or calling? Get them on the phone. Blatantly asking for discounts by e-mail is not the right strategy. Call, tell them you are interested in a few different watches. Name a few, even ones you aren't really going to buy. Ask them about availability and pricing. Then ask them for best possible pricing on the one you actually want. Negotiate from there.Try the larger dealers. They will be sort of hit or miss. Almost all will give you some discount. Many will...
I'll reiterate the same advice as before: call around to European authorized dealers. You will find that the prices versus grey market will be comparable, but you will have the added security of working with an authorized dealer, which is extra important when you are talking about wiring large sums of cash overseas.
I think the JLC is the easy winner of the bunch:One of the best looking models they've put out in years. The others you've mentioned are very meh in my book. That said, these are all very different watches. Not sure what your criteria are.What about a Rolex?
That's why I'd prefer to pick an AD in Europe, rather than a grey market dealer--would feel much better about wire payment.
Holy bat lugs, Batman.
But then he won't get the benefit of a VAT reduction. Buying from Europe is key.
Yeah, that was a circus. I don't begrudge them for being the first two in the U.S. to get the watch and for getting special treatment; they are important brand ambassadors, after all. But the "article" lacked any substance. There was no meaningful review or report on the watch. Just gushing back-and-forth on how awesome it feels to be first in line and how awesome Rolex as a company is.
I had the same reaction as you. It's a tasteless, poorly executed retro pastiche. Even if I could get behind the idea of faking a vintage, military-spec Sub, there's no excuse for not aging the lume on the hands to match the dial markers and not narrowing down and beveling the lugs to achieve a vintage-correct profile. The circled B is just stupid. The "Swiss T Jack Forster's articles are gems though. And the video interviews are awesome--wish they did more of them.
Swiss watch sales sharply down, -16% in 1H 2016 versus prior year: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mid-year-swiss-watch-sales-results-show-industry-beset-by-perfect-storm http://www.fhs.ch/file/59/comm_160606_a.pdf Market is oversaturated--too many brands, too many models, too much volume. Meanwhile price increases in recent years have too aggressively chased Chinese demand, which has fallen off a cliff. Industry is in for a shake-up. I expect the handful of blue chips...
Customs on watches coming into the U.S. is minimal (2 or 4% I believe), and that's when they charge it at all. The last few times I've had watches shipped to me from authorized dealers in Europe, I've paid no customs duty even though the full values were always declared.Have you tried connecting with an authorized dealer in Europe? On a Glashuette Original, you should be able to get an easy 20 percent off retail price just for asking, then another 16-20% off for VAT,...