or Connect

Posts by Northampton Novice

I haven't appealed to anyone, I have stated a widely accepted fact and provided an explanation. I didn't realise we were in Science Forum where I have to append citation, sources and references. Happy to provide them though, given its a fact lots of sources exist.Now you consider yourself part of the scientific community, but apparently I'm not???Hmm very scientific of you, making wild assumptions... I have an MSc in Chemical engineering and despite not progressing to a...
Actually it does according to the scientific community. That's why, water is called the universal solvent.Correct.Actually it's more molecular physics and would you believe it, applies to all disciplines of science.By the way, I did not term 'water the universal solvent' but I did use the term which was coined long before I was born.How have I contradicted myself? By using the word relative? By stating scientific fact you accuse me of seeking to confuse.You really are...
We'll actually it is - it's a scientific observation and is widely accepted as true.You seem to have provided a rudimentary explanation of the action by which compounds dissociate - this is not why water is termed the universal solvent. The term is based on the relative static permittivity indices and the phenomena of dielectric constant, where water holds the highest value of any known solvent.
An excellent investment
Completely agree dirt and dust are serious enemies of leather and major factors that lead directly to cracking.Conditioners that don't penetrate or indeed migrate within the leather exacerbate the situation no end.Solvents do dry leather, but there is no getting away from the fact that almost all products (a couple claim to be solvent free apparently, but I remain dubious) will contain at least one solvent. Whether you can smell them or not, as several can be odourless,...
I agree with Ron. I have tried more products than I care to mention and renovateur is actually the best.In my experience for shoes in particular an emulsion works better than straight liquid conditioners. Whilst these are absorbed more quickly by the leather they also dissipate more readily, which in turn requires increased applications, with each application taking a little finish off with it....I don't think I have been to the workshop of a single high end maker in...
Word.They don't make 'em like they used to...
Can't comment on what you saw, but I've not encountered a pair of Barker shoes without a half leather insole. Is that what you mean?
Correct. I believe you are talking about yankee wax (not the candles!) it is invariably used with either a hot iron or buffer disc. I have used it it cold, without a disc and then applied heat with great resultsIf you need any further help/assistance/product let me know but allow a few days for a response as I'm in the midst of my Cordwainer finals!
I have pairs from both and must say the Cheaney are holding up much better than the AS. Personally I prefer the Cheaney.