or Connect

Posts by trogdor

I'd echo what radicaldog says too. I interviewed in philosophy departments in North America and here in Ireland (which is closer to the UK for the sake of this issue). In both cases, I wore a dark brown tweedy jacket, light blue shirt, conservative tie, and charcoal flannel trousers. I figure that even though you won't be expected to wear jacket and tie when you get the job (I do, but I'm unusual), you should dress up as an acknowledgement that you're taking the interview...
PM'ed...
I can't find the epic thread in which the existence of clear metal collar stays was postulated. Nonetheless, that possibility may become actual -- Oxford scientists have, apparently, created a transparent form of aluminium: http://www.physorg.com/news167925273.html The bad news is that the transparency only lasts for about 40 femtoseconds, and can only be done in a spot with a diameter of less than 1/20 the width of a human hair. But we're getting there! ... isn't...
Super -- I'm pleased to report that both seem to work perfectly. They both make a nice little ISO, and burning that to DVD is a piece of cake. Thanks for the advice, guys. Once again, I am amazed -- but not surprised -- by the collective problem-solving wisdom of SF.
Hey -- that's neat. It looks like Devede is available for Windows too, and I use MPlayer already, so it looks like they'll be friends. I'll give that a try too.
thanks -- that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find. I shall give it a go and report back.
Quick version: Can anyone recommend me a free program that will allow me to convert downloaded .avi files to watchable DVDs? Longer version: I'm sick of watching downloaded TV shows on my computer, and so I'd like to burn them onto DVDs, so that I can watch them on my telly. There seem to be a million and one different programs out there, but SF is usually a reliable distiller of collected knowledge, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with this sort of...
Happened to me once when I was living in Canada and bought something from Brooks Brothers in the US. I noticed, however, that it only ever happens when the shipping company is someone other than the state-sponsored official mail (e.g, UPS or FedEx rather than USPS, Canada Post, Royal Mail, An Post etc). I think that some companies like UPS or FedEx simply pre-emptively charge the recipient for "customs and taxes" whether or not the package is actually charged by the...
I love club collars -- I'm wearing one today from Hardy Amies, with pink horizontal stripes and a contrast collar. Please excuse the even crappier photo:
I'm giving Chrome a trial run, and with the DNS pre-fetch thing, it seems to run very quickly.