or Connect

Posts by thinman

This speaks only to your contempt for Oklahoma and hatred of Bob Stoops. Stoops has eight Big 12 Championships, has played in 4 national championship games and won one of them. Mack Brown's Texas teams played in one national championship game and won it because of Vince Young's freakish athleticism.Mack was always a great recruiter who couldn't develop his talent and constantly got out-coached by Stoops in head-to-head match-ups, hence Mack's lack of Big 12 Championships...
This. I was at the outlet mall today (and the 50% off sale was in progress last weekend, as well). After Christmas, merchandise from the mainline store will be back to the normal 70% off. I usually head straight for the "70% off" rack, so I save time by skipping most of the "346" stuff.
If I don't mind darkening my boots slightly, I use Obenauf's Leather Preservative, a coat of cream and multiple coats of wax (necessary to get a shine, after the Obenauf's LP) before the first wearing. Then, it's just wax and, occassionally, Saphir cream.
That's what I'm wearing now--C&J Tetburys in brown or black, as well as brown suede Rider 3-eyelet chukkas with crepe soles--but I'm hoping to score some monkstraps (or monkstrap chukkas). You may recall that I'm an academic, so I'm already grossly overdressed compared to everyone around me. People would just see gray suede chukkas with crepe soles as another of my eccentricities.
I'm not so sure a gray suede monkstrap shoe works for me, but I'd have to consider seriously a gray suede monkstrap chukka with a crepe sole. My next purchase should really be a slipon (monkstrap or chelsea boot, for easy on/easy off at airport security) with some type of rubberized sole for travel in wet weather. How versatile is gray suede, though? It seems like it would work for casual, but not business casual.On the other hand, there's been a gray suede wingtip blucher...
Gaziano & Girling has the Oakham in vintage cherry. It's a gorgeous shoe, though it's out of your stated price range and may be a little too red for your tastes: http://www.bespoke-england.co.uk/products/oakham-in-vintage-cherry-calf-dg70 FWIW, I just got an email from Epaulet saying they don't plan to re-stock the Salinger double monks from Carmina, but would be open to a group order in burgundy shell cordovan at about $725 per pair. If you are interested, you can post...
I'm very, very tempted, but I probably need to size up from my usual 40 and it's a double Donegal, so it's guaranteed to be heavy-weight. I really like that vest in the post above yours, by dotcomzzzzzzzzz, and would be tempted to order one, if Inverallan were still taking orders (Lurking here is hard on my wallet).
Thanks Blackhood; will do.
My solution on warmer Fall/Winter days is a cashmere vest under my blazer, so the blazer serves as outerwear.
I"m annoyed with CT right now because they're the only company I've found that sells RTW non-iron shirts with a 15.5" neck and 36.5" sleeve, but they've had none in stock for the past several months. So, I need to replace several shirts and they keep tempting me with discounts, but when I visit the website, they're out of stock. I should probably email them to ask when and if they plan to re-stock.