or Connect

Posts by photoguy

I'm having a bitch of a time finding good casual/walking shoes that I can fit my square-shaped feet into. I'm probably going to pick up a pair of Alden Indy boots, but would really like to also get a couple pairs of lighter weight shoes that would be good for very long walks. I've looked at Tod's, Church's, etc., but they don't go that wide. AE made sneakers in EEE for a while, but they've been discontinued. Any suggestions? I'm not too price sensitive. Thanks.
Thanks to all. This isn't a choice destination for me, but I intend to make the best of it.
I am going to be in Carlsbad for the first time for a few days next month. I know next to nothing about the city except that it is a resort town and there are some caves somewhere nearby. Any recommendations on things to do or places to eat? For restaurants, I'm equally interested in the very high end and very low end (the latter particularly if it means top-notch CA-style Mexican food). Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by haganah It's just a lot easier to justify your spending if someone has more of a history/"circulation" But then you'd be talking about thousands of dollars, not hundreds. Purchases like this should be viewed as pure consumption.
Hell Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pablo Sandoval isn't skinny and hit 25HR in his rookie year.
Oh, I remember 87, 89, 93 and 02 all too well. I'm not planning any victory parties. But another thing I learned those seasons was to enjoy it when things are going well. Otherwise it is just a complete waste.
SF Giants up two games in the World Series for the first time in their history!
Quote: Originally Posted by Milpool Disagree entirely. Over the next several years, I expect the shortfall will be HUGE. It is brutally hard to find good people right now. Of course, that doesn't mean I get a raise this year. What kind of physicist jobs are you talking about? Because I know people with Ivy league PhDs and multi-page publication lists applying for really unprestigious teaching gigs. OTOH, as I said above, those not...
Quote: Originally Posted by Milpool Computer simulation primarily. It is a direction that I see most probably because it is the direction that life seems to be taking me. I talked to a guy the other day in p-chem that said he never even touched a pipette during his PhD. His dissertation was entirely computational. With computer costs going down and power going up so quickly, simulation is getting to be a very cheap option to test lots of things...