or Connect

Posts by Patrologia

I recently tried some mid calf socks, and I don't get it. Granted, these are not the quality most of you wear (still working my way up to being willing to spend that - and waiting for a sale!) but I have the identical socks in OTC and in whatever the shorter length (I think most non-SF men would just call them socks). Both of those lengths work fine, but the mid calf fall constantly. On me they come to pretty much exactly the middle of my calf muscle, so I don't see any...
Several of these replies have been spot on. I won't try to give specific recommendations, but instead a couple of points that might influence how you decide. 1. The people in your department are certainly slobs (they are, after all, academics!), but they can at least give you a general idea of how people typically dress at this particular conference. The key thing is not to stick out. 2. As long as your suit isn't especially flashy you won't get knocked for looking like...
That's gonna stick with me.
It was this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Donegal-Tweed-Brown-Windowpane-3-Pc-Shooting-Suit-40R-/170756194490?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item27c1dcc0baI had been watching it when it was still pretty low, but decided that I just wasn't in love with something about it and that it would probably get too rich for my blood. After it closed it came up on the "Cool Shoes ..." thread, and there was some skepticism about one of the zero ratings bidders.
Only if the seller has a second account though, right. (I'm actually willing to believe that auction was legit - especially with a new ebayer bidding.)
Thanks for the lesson, I hadn't tried to remove that kind before, but now that I look at some, yes it would be well worth $20 for that.And people say I'm wasting time on the Internet! Look at all I learn.
Not to be over the top here, but how hard is it for a slightly obsessed schmuck with a decent pen knife to remove the belt loops from his own trousers during an episode of Castle and save himself a few bucks? After all, we're just talking about cutting a few threads and gently pulling them out of the fabric. Perhaps add a few diagonal tugs to snug the weave back together. I'm just saying.
Indeed, both points are true.I'm not sure about others, but I don't see much point in changing braces very often (and I am always afraid too much fiddling is going to ruin the leather). I generally install a pair into a pair of trousers and leave that pair with that suit indefinitely. Last time I bothered changing from one pair to another was wearing my fun Christmas braces just before Christmas. This has the effect (both a benefit and a problem) of meaning that you only...
I don't know if the UK will be the same as US, but while you're looking for deals on the high end stuff, you can probably find some quite servicable braces in local thrifts. The real point now is to establish the habit (and reputation) of wearing them. I personally consider wearing braces to be one of the best reasons to wear a suit - so much more comfortable than a belt. People will comment the first 2 times they actually notice you wearing them. After that, it is just...
This is a great story - do you have documentation for it? I am aware of a different interpretation that relies on cultural contexts that find great insult in the display of the soles of shoes and would love to be able to reliably offer this as a counter to what is the "standard" understanding in my circles.