or Connect

Posts by NameBack

Why do you care?
I agree that tax hikes have an impact on consumer spending -- you know me, I've said a million times that I'm in favor of low tax rates, and I'd rather not close the deficit at all.I'm just not sure how you can argue that taking money out of people's pockets by charging them more is any different from taking money out of people's pockets by paying them less. Either way, the private sector ends up with less money with which to buy goods and services.As to a historical...
Fran, exactly what sort of tortured logic do you employ that leads you to believe that tax hikes are bad for the economy while spending cuts aren't?
I think the player talent has improved since 2010, and the biggest change is Mariota. Oregon has always been a run-heavy offense, and their rushing ability is probably even a bit better than it was in 2010 -- Barner is playing just as well as James did, and Thomas is better than Barner was at that time -- but it is possible to shut down Oregon's rushing game, which Auburn did a good job of in 2010. And I think you're right that in the month of preparation before the NCG,...
I think A&M showed everyone that Bama doesn't have the defensive ability to slow down an Oregon offense all that much.
Thank you for being gracious in defeat.
Possible, not likely--and the scenario presented is not one of the fiscal cliff happening where people feel it in 2014; the scenario presented is one where the cliff is averted, reforms are made late in 2013 that then become retroactive. That's not the scenario where we simply go over the cliff.The debt ceiling is a separate issue. It will need to be raised before the fiscal cliff in all likelihood -- not during, not after. It is its own distinct and separate issue that...
Yeah I'm from Oregon. Grew up in Portland, and my dad went to UO. Used to go to the Civil War games back when Bellotti was head coach. Always liked the Ducks but it's been so much fun to follow them ever since Kelly got the head job.As to the money -- I don't think that's an issue. They're already paying him more than the median NFL head coach salary, and they'd be happy to pay him more if he won a championship. I think he just genuinely wants to win a Superbowl, and...
You don't think there's any merit to the idea that people who benefit the most from American society should pay the most? I think there's a strong moral framework to suggest that American government and rule of law are essential ingredients in what allows us to have such high GDP/capita, and that the people who benefit from that wealth owe a debt to the society that gave them a framework for success. I'm not saying you have to agree with that sentiment, but I think it's...