or Connect

Posts by thebarbaron

I'm thinking of having my oldest and worst charcoal pinstripe suit modified to be a tearaway model. When the hurricane hits full force, I want to be able to go from elegance to naked anarchy with no time wasted.
Interesting thread to wade through. I worked a short time in food service, more counter service, some food running and wine bar/coffee shop stuff. Many of my friends and coworkers have waited tables (a few in very high-end fine dining, most in average family night out restaurants), and I've been formulating rules for tipping based on both common courtesy and those shared experiences. While the stigma among young people against undertippers is very high (a number of them...
I'm in Charlottesville, VA, about 30 miles from the epicenter in Mineral. Luckily, looks like very little damage in the CVille or Richmond areas. There were a few damaged or destroyed buildings closer to the epicenter in Louisa county, and the aftershocks broke some windows, lamps, etc. at the houses of my coworkers nearby, but we've heard no reports of serious injury.
Quote: Originally Posted by Spong I don't understand all the stigma around clip-on suspenders, I only wear mine under a waistcoat or sweater anyway so no-one ever sees them. If you're wearing them just over a shirt I can understand the clips are unsightly but when people start getting all up in arms over something deliberately hidden it begins to smell a bit suspect to me. While the clips are unsightly, if you are hiding them they can be...
Even in other parts of the south, the dandy is resurging. I'm in Virginia (more rural/suburban, less DC), and I get down to the Carolinas and Georgia frequently. Seersucker is always popular; white bucks are a nice detail that gives you an edge but not necessary. Lots of tan/cream linen, cotton, or worsted. For dress shirts, edge towards the light blues, pinks, even an occasional yellow. Bowties always pull in lots of feminine compliments. Be prepared for the...
As both a caveat and a new perspective, I will admit upfront that I work for the MW and see this conundrum about twice a week. While there is a chance that just wearing your RLPL dinner clothes would go unnoticed, ethically it's a bit dubious. I always try to encourage brides and grooms to a) go with a classic style (a la the one button peak, with bow tie and cummerbund), b) consider buying even an inexpensive tuxedo over renting, since the difference in fit is...