or Connect

Posts by Mr. Lee

Another vote for Lloyd's (the lace-up, right?) Not a fan of the tassel wingtip, else I would own a pair.
Probably not the best site to post this question. This brand is not going to get a lot of love here. I think most of their stuff--even their ads--looks like shit. They just never developed a solid brand.
Noticed the same thing. Hardly even look at it anymore, as it's always the same shit. Mostly just read Glenn O'Brien's column since he's a pisser and always right-on. GQ = Guy in a too small khaki suit, plaid shirt, striped tie and a tie bar. Even when they redress the pathetic guys in the too-large pleated chinos and corny wide leather jacket, they strap them in too-small clothes. Funny thing is that if you compare any of their model shoots to their advertising, none...
The spit shine derives from the military and is generally used in conjunction with a high-gloss "parade" model of the Kiwi brand of polish. Adding moisture adds a little exta shine. Spitting is a handy way to supply it. I use Meltonian cream (I know many SF'rs deride it as cheap, but it has been around a while is more readily available than some brands I have seen recommmended) and yes, I will spit on the area of the toe prior to buffing. I suppose a mister with water...
Nah, not with a pane of this width, which is almost a solid or neutral. I would go for a more densely striped shirt, though and definitely not a tattersall or anything having anything horizontal going on. Could probably even pair with a paisley tie, but that might be too much.
Highly recommend a bottle of Lexol ($5-6) and a tin of Kiwi ($2) and you are good to go. Combine them with a rag and a horsehair brush ($10) and you have the start of a shoe shine kit that will last you for years. +1 on this for a college kid. You don't need to be spending money on (or even learning about) obscure and expensive shoe polish. Meltonian is a creme (cream?) and works fine. Cremes have more luster and less shine than wax-based polishes such as Kiwi, but...
I join in the comment about the width on the buttons. The top two look like they are going fall right on your 'nips. Something odd about their placement. I don't see anything wrong it being Navy--may not be unique enough for the SF crowd but has served the other 99.99999999% of the population very well over the years. Overall, I am not thrilled with the appearance. Sorry.
I am going to buck the trend toward the "button-down" responses and endorse your idea of a spread.
Great movie. Loved the gaggle of ghouls that played Micky's Mom and sisters. I am sure the Mom was a professional but those sisters were definitely cast from locals, IMO. I also read that Wahlberg has said that as he was doing his last six (yes, 6) movies, he was secretely preparing for this one, getting to the gym for a three-hour workout before he was due on set so he could be as realistic as possible. And Bale never ceases to amaze, even though he is kind of a nut...
I am first recommending books by Martin Booth, a prolific (if late bloomer) British writer who died in 2004 at the age of 59. His work came to light recently with the release of "The American" with George Clooney, based on his book "A Very Private Gentleman." The book is great. I then moved on to "The Industry of Souls" which was short-listed for the Booker prize, and then cruised through several works based upon Booth's upbringing in Hong Kong and deep familiarity with...