or Connect

Posts by john_sf

I like how thick and black it is, good mouth feel, and not cloyingly sweet or syrupy in any way. I also like how it is not oaky or tawny, etc. That's not what I am looking for. I also like a stopper top, as opposed to a regular cork - it confuses me that a lot of bottles of port I have purchased have plain old corks, when port can last quite a while open, and is consumed in smaller amounts, etc. Do finer ports tend to have plain old corks ? As I said, I am perfectly...
Thanks. I think I will also try the Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos : http://www.grahams-port.com/section.php?id=178
I thought the vintage (the single vintage that I tried, grahams, year unknown) was fine - just not markedly better than the six grapes...
I love port ... not a fan at all of tawny ... and my default choice is "six grapes". I think it's very good, and if there is no reason to switch, I won't ... but I'd love to upgrade a bit. Perhaps something better and a little subtler ? Again, I don't like tawny, so I don't want to go down that fork at all. I've tried 6-7 other bottles, with pricing between $15 and $50 and while one of them was as good as six grapes, none were better. I have also tried some of the...
I am using a fairly wide, very spherical red wine glass. Some proper whiskey glasses are on their way
Thanks. I think it was that issue of Wine Spectator from a year or two ago that was dedicated to Scotch (scotch was the cover story) that suggested L16 was "less harsh" in the smokey, peaty Islay category, so that's where I got that idea.Yes, I'm glad to have them both open at once.Speaking of tasting/nosing in general, I am confused about the deep breaths of whiskey I see tasters doing - if I put my nose into a glass (even at bottle strength of ~40%) and take a deep...
I don't know about "saved" - HK+shenzhen is a fascinating trip to take. For future readers, my advice would be to fly into HK and take the train to Shenzhen. It's a really enjoyable train ride that will show you most of Hong Kong (and a lot that you would never see if you were just staying in or near Central). The train is nice and easy, and you end up at a Shenzhen station that is a very quick cab ride to several hotels. In shenzhen, I think the most interesting use...
Going back and forth between Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg uigeadail. I get a big nose full of smoke from Lagavulin 16, and just an undertone of smoke from the Ardbeg, which is contrary to most reviews/tastings I have read. I was under the impression that the L16 was a "beginner Islay" that wasn't too smokey or peaty and that the Ardbeg was the dangerous one, but my own experience has been the opposite. I like them both a lot. I can't really enjoy the Ardbeg at 54% without...
I've browsed through all of Ethan Allen, RL Home, and Stickley and have not found what I'm looking for ... What are some other makers of high end furniture ? I'm looking for higher quality than, say, restoration hardware... Thanks.
Well, that's my point. If you're not interested in getting on that ladder, then I think it makes sense to just get a plain old s550 and concentrate on other things.But once you do get on that ladder, I think you have to go all in. That being said, I just looked up what NTexican spoke of - the s65 has an old 5-speed transmission and the s63 has a modern 7-speed.I'd say neither of them make any sense.