or Connect

Posts by john_sf

Thanks. I think I will also try the Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos : http://www.grahams-port.com/section.php?id=178
I thought the vintage (the single vintage that I tried, grahams, year unknown) was fine - just not markedly better than the six grapes...
I love port ... not a fan at all of tawny ... and my default choice is "six grapes". I think it's very good, and if there is no reason to switch, I won't ... but I'd love to upgrade a bit. Perhaps something better and a little subtler ? Again, I don't like tawny, so I don't want to go down that fork at all. I've tried 6-7 other bottles, with pricing between $15 and $50 and while one of them was as good as six grapes, none were better. I have also tried some of the...
I am using a fairly wide, very spherical red wine glass. Some proper whiskey glasses are on their way
Thanks. I think it was that issue of Wine Spectator from a year or two ago that was dedicated to Scotch (scotch was the cover story) that suggested L16 was "less harsh" in the smokey, peaty Islay category, so that's where I got that idea.Yes, I'm glad to have them both open at once.Speaking of tasting/nosing in general, I am confused about the deep breaths of whiskey I see tasters doing - if I put my nose into a glass (even at bottle strength of ~40%) and take a deep...
I don't know about "saved" - HK+shenzhen is a fascinating trip to take. For future readers, my advice would be to fly into HK and take the train to Shenzhen. It's a really enjoyable train ride that will show you most of Hong Kong (and a lot that you would never see if you were just staying in or near Central). The train is nice and easy, and you end up at a Shenzhen station that is a very quick cab ride to several hotels. In shenzhen, I think the most interesting use...
Going back and forth between Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg uigeadail. I get a big nose full of smoke from Lagavulin 16, and just an undertone of smoke from the Ardbeg, which is contrary to most reviews/tastings I have read. I was under the impression that the L16 was a "beginner Islay" that wasn't too smokey or peaty and that the Ardbeg was the dangerous one, but my own experience has been the opposite. I like them both a lot. I can't really enjoy the Ardbeg at 54% without...
I've browsed through all of Ethan Allen, RL Home, and Stickley and have not found what I'm looking for ... What are some other makers of high end furniture ? I'm looking for higher quality than, say, restoration hardware... Thanks.
Well, that's my point. If you're not interested in getting on that ladder, then I think it makes sense to just get a plain old s550 and concentrate on other things.But once you do get on that ladder, I think you have to go all in. That being said, I just looked up what NTexican spoke of - the s65 has an old 5-speed transmission and the s63 has a modern 7-speed.I'd say neither of them make any sense.
Ok. Still, you do see S63 and CL63 cars driving around - it seems like an awfully complicated way to advertise that you can't quite afford the best... I'd think they'd be better off with the sensible, understated plain old S550 and maximizing some other aspect of life.