or Connect

Posts by john_sf

Nobody ? I wil wait until after the meetup then, and ask again... Have fun!
Spent a little time at Wingtip in SF last week ... I see that it is part of the styleforum meetup in February. Any thoughts or general comments on what is going on downstairs ? They are offering fully custom suits in the $4 - $5 - $6k range, depending on fabric, which are made in the USA. A lot of very high end service and details were laid out and it all sounds quite good, and at a reasonable price point for fully custom, but something about the whole operation gives...
I need some new suits made this year - perhaps two or three. The last time I had a MTM suit made was in 2008 and it was a Samuelsohn. Three piece suit, roughly $2800 or so ? Perfectly happy with it. I was expecting to step up a bit in price since, at WB, I would be looking at Zegna and Brioni. However I was not expecting the Zegna range to be $5-$8k and Brioni to *start* at $12k. Again, nothing special here, just the standard MTM lines from each of these makers. In...
It's not great, but it's nowhere near as bad as the current A8 shifter:http://gotryke.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2011-audi-a8-interior-3.jpgJust terrible.
I like how thick and black it is, good mouth feel, and not cloyingly sweet or syrupy in any way. I also like how it is not oaky or tawny, etc. That's not what I am looking for. I also like a stopper top, as opposed to a regular cork - it confuses me that a lot of bottles of port I have purchased have plain old corks, when port can last quite a while open, and is consumed in smaller amounts, etc. Do finer ports tend to have plain old corks ? As I said, I am perfectly...
Thanks. I think I will also try the Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos : http://www.grahams-port.com/section.php?id=178
I thought the vintage (the single vintage that I tried, grahams, year unknown) was fine - just not markedly better than the six grapes...
I love port ... not a fan at all of tawny ... and my default choice is "six grapes". I think it's very good, and if there is no reason to switch, I won't ... but I'd love to upgrade a bit. Perhaps something better and a little subtler ? Again, I don't like tawny, so I don't want to go down that fork at all. I've tried 6-7 other bottles, with pricing between $15 and $50 and while one of them was as good as six grapes, none were better. I have also tried some of the...
I am using a fairly wide, very spherical red wine glass. Some proper whiskey glasses are on their way
Thanks. I think it was that issue of Wine Spectator from a year or two ago that was dedicated to Scotch (scotch was the cover story) that suggested L16 was "less harsh" in the smokey, peaty Islay category, so that's where I got that idea.Yes, I'm glad to have them both open at once.Speaking of tasting/nosing in general, I am confused about the deep breaths of whiskey I see tasters doing - if I put my nose into a glass (even at bottle strength of ~40%) and take a deep...