or Connect

Posts by john_sf

Thanks a lot. I think I will try the Nectar d'Or - I've been meaning to try it anyway...
Hmmm... I guess I'm thinking of glenlivet as somewhat plain or unadorned ... it's very, very good, of course, but it doesn't have that defining characteristic of smoke and peat that the Islay malts have.So I'm looking for something that has something equally as defining and overpowering, but on the opposite end of the smoke and the peat ... I'm thinking of flavors like vanilla and apricot and cinnamon and so on ... but I'm open to other suggestions as well.Thanks for your...
I am looking to round out my regular scotches by balancing Ardbeg uigeadail with ... something else that would be its opposite. My baseline, the center, is Glenlivet 25. That is staying put as the "control" in the middle. But I also really like Ardbeg uigeadail ... or something equally as smokey and peaty, etc. What would balance this out, on the other end ? If I had to pick from what I've drunk in the past, I would say Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin... which is probably a...
Right. That was my thought. I *want* it to be substantive, as I would, in fact, like a glass of scotch and walk through your hip store and some guy getting his hair cut and so on ... but that's the kind of thing that never actually works.
Nobody ? I wil wait until after the meetup then, and ask again... Have fun!
Spent a little time at Wingtip in SF last week ... I see that it is part of the styleforum meetup in February. Any thoughts or general comments on what is going on downstairs ? They are offering fully custom suits in the $4 - $5 - $6k range, depending on fabric, which are made in the USA. A lot of very high end service and details were laid out and it all sounds quite good, and at a reasonable price point for fully custom, but something about the whole operation gives...
I need some new suits made this year - perhaps two or three. The last time I had a MTM suit made was in 2008 and it was a Samuelsohn. Three piece suit, roughly $2800 or so ? Perfectly happy with it. I was expecting to step up a bit in price since, at WB, I would be looking at Zegna and Brioni. However I was not expecting the Zegna range to be $5-$8k and Brioni to *start* at $12k. Again, nothing special here, just the standard MTM lines from each of these makers. In...
It's not great, but it's nowhere near as bad as the current A8 shifter:http://gotryke.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2011-audi-a8-interior-3.jpgJust terrible.
I like how thick and black it is, good mouth feel, and not cloyingly sweet or syrupy in any way. I also like how it is not oaky or tawny, etc. That's not what I am looking for. I also like a stopper top, as opposed to a regular cork - it confuses me that a lot of bottles of port I have purchased have plain old corks, when port can last quite a while open, and is consumed in smaller amounts, etc. Do finer ports tend to have plain old corks ? As I said, I am perfectly...
Thanks. I think I will also try the Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos : http://www.grahams-port.com/section.php?id=178