or Connect

Posts by blueorigami

natalie portman. terrible, terrible actress and utterly bland physically.
Slow pickings recently. I stopped by the really cheap salvation army after work yesterday and found something I've been needing, a blue blazer (1.50). It's a darted Brooks Brothers model and it's half lined so I won't have much of a problem bringing it in just a bit. I admit it is nothing too exciting, or even exciting at all, but thrifting a staple is always a good feeling. AlanC congrats on the great trousers. They are, at least for me, the rarest of finds.
A 1991 GEO Storm, fully loaded: sunroof, spoiler and bungee cords holding down the hood, hatchback and left door. It was free and it served me well for 2 years even though I could not take it on the interstate for fear of something flying off.
Quote: Originally Posted by jakejake ...I bought them mostly based on the colors and overall conditions... This is the best reason I can think of for buying any tie. My only additional rule of thumb is to stick with natural fibers (wool, cotton, cashmere, silk, linen) because, well, the poly blends really do look cheap. also, you want to keep an the blade widths. It's easy to forget your sifting through probably 15 to 20 years worth of...
I had a busy week and only managed to make one stop, but it was a pretty successful one. I found another Hermes tie (1.95), a solid turquoise Brooks tie (2.50), two white linen pocket squares (30 cents each) and a pair of suede Ferragamo balmorals. The fact that they were Ferragamo was unfortunate since that jacked up the price to 12.95 and the construction isn't very good, but, hey, 13 dollars. I wore them to church on Sunday with some linen trousers and felt...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucky Strike I like the Jim Thompson story: OSS operative, silk merchant and mysterious disappearance: http://www.jimthompson.com/index.asp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thompson_(designer) I have a couple of ties that an ex-gf brought back from Thailand. Very nice, crisp silk. Now I wish I hadn't cut the tags off . Crisp is definitely a good way to describe the silk. The prints however are a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomasso Absolutely. Quote: Originally Posted by philosophe Shortening the belt should cost about $10 at the shoe repair shop. hey thanks! glad to hear it's a possibility. Quote: Originally Posted by Tarmac is it the stitched double-leather padded type? or the chunk of leather blank type? I would think the latter type would be worth it to alter, not the former...
This weekend I ran across a very lightly used Trafalgar belt at a thrift store. Unfortunately, it was much too long so I left it behind. But it got me thinking: Couldn't I just take it somewhere (like my shoe repair shop) and have them trim it down to a suitable length (just punching new holes would leave far too much overhang)? Or is this just a fool's errand and I'm better off waiting for the thrift store gods to find it in their hearts (wallets?) to bestow upon me a...
On Saturday I found not 1 but 2 Hermes ties which is always a nice surprise. They came at the first store visited after ignoring the protests of my thrifting associate who wanted to call it a day after only 3 stops. One is a nice green with blue and yellow pandas (2 dollars) for the WWF (not exactly the height of whimsy but better than most Hermes I've stumbled across.) The other is a lovely red with a truly hideous print of stripes and belt buckles (a rather substantial...
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. Good times.