or Connect

Posts by blueorigami

The Civil War: Fort Sumter to Perryville
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad Wow, that's a surprising reference point. I liked it more than CfD (which I read once a long time ago). It's also very different in sensibility than CfD. To oversimplify, I think CfD's protagonist was a very characteristically European-American nutcase. The protagonist in Wao is very much rooted in a dual-identity, immigrant (in this case Dominican-American) sensibility. Part of what's enjoyable about it is...
Quote: Originally Posted by otc Chicago's got a different dynamic to it and since I'm in the city proper, I don't have access to the nice suburban thrift stores (and I live on the wrong side of town for the stores that are in the city) What side of Chicago doesn't have thrift stores? They seem to be on every other corner outside of downtown. Sure they are not as nice or loaded as the northshore thrift stores, but thrifting is hardly about...
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad I just finished Junot Diaz's The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It's excellent.... How does it stack up against something like A Confederacy of Dunces?
Suttree -- just because it hasn't been mentioned.
light in august
^^^shoe trees and hangers, the unsung heroes of thrifting.
Where's the Wilson love? Go get a dual hinged A200 off of ebay, rub it up with some vaseline and play ball!
I bought these Weejuns at a thrift store with the hope someone here would like them. They are brand new and don't appear to have ever been worn. 9 1/2 D. They do have some very small holes in the upper from the stapled on price tag; I tried to take a picture of them but they are just too subtle to capture. 15 dollars shipped. I also picked up some NWT 12 inch Barney's Pocket Squares featuring...watermelons! Just in time for the sartorially inclined bbq! ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Baron You're crazy. She is absolutely gorgeous. And smart. I love her. Where does this notion that she is "smart" come from? Did I just miss that Access Hollywood exclusive or what?