or Connect

Posts by Farmgate

Thanks...it's the groom's parents house. Band is a group of nicely-attired post-grunge Nirvana types. Food includes full sit down and open bar. Thank you again.
I am attending an engagement party during the last week of January and cannot decide whether to wear a black Zegna jacket and dark jeans, or a steel blue suit and white shirt. The party is 7-10 p.m. The other option is a slim black suit, white shirt, no tie,. or black suit, bluegray print shirt, slim black knit tie. The bride is a doctor and the groom is in a touring band so I expect I wide spectrum of styles. For winter parties, I typically get by with the old blue...
Black suits, Germany, 1966, farewell tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noYeBRk2XE8&feature=related I know the black suit haters will flame away, but I think the Beatles pull off the black suit look without looking like limo drivers. Maybe the key is the Chelsea boots and white sport shirt. Maybeit's the black suit and the hair, that in 1966 said all that needed to be said.
Quote: Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 I truly don't mean to belittle the OP, but he's started multiple threads concerning what to wear to a casual housewarming party and backyard barbeque. And I can't help but think that this amounts to way overthinking the "problem." As for the firm's bigwigs showing up in their Brooks Brothers summer uniform regalia, well, I'm not entirely sure what this even means, and I've been a lawyer since the late '80s...
Quote: Originally Posted by Michael Ay329 Is this informal gathering in the day or evening? If it is in the day...then the color, medium grey, and the cloth choice: flannel, is just fine...although if its a warm summer day...why flannel? For an evening gathering, medium grey is traditionally not appropriate (navy and black is)...and flannel was always frowned upon as an evening cloth. In casual evening family/friend gatherings, I found flannels...
Quote: Originally Posted by arvidg Wait a minute. Medium gray wool dress trousers with an untucked long-sleeve sport shirt? Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean by a sport shirt, you're either 1) trolling or 2) thinking of an outfit that would have way too much contrast wrt formality to work well. (But by all means, do post photos.) I think the trousers could work, paired with an informal shirt, e.g. one of...
I am attending a summer party next week with a bunch of good-humored commercial litigators. The party is part-house warming, part-business casual, with most of the attendees from our office or our competitor's offices. I know most of the guys there will wear jeans or chinos, with a white button down, or polos, and I don't want to look like every other guy. I have a pair of medium gray wool dress trousers, which are tailored-tight. I was thinking of pairing them...
Quote: Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 So I'm guessing you're not a big fan of the madras shirt, jrd617? Okay, I still think it works at a backyard barbecue, but if Farmgate shares your opinion, there's no reason to forgo wearing the brick red pants. BTW Farmgate, just out of curiosity, where is this party being held? I mean, like, in which state, or at least geographic region of the country. Because I could see maybe offering a different...
Quote: Originally Posted by ktrp How old are your coworkers and what line of work are you in? Housewarming for 50 year old fund managers on their new home probably looks a little different from a web designer's starter home housewarming party. Hi, the co-workers are mostly young commercial litigators, ages 25-45, all with a good sense of humor and conservative taste. The eldest may be 50. I am forty-esh.
I am thinking of wearing a blue polo shirt and chinos, brown loafers to a co-worker's outdoor housewarming party, to be held in June. I am not that fond of chinos and polo shirts, but want to look respectful and courteous. Am I going "underddressed"? I like a more fashion forward look with featured jeans and a tee shirt, but with this group, that's not going to happen. What would you recommend by way of an alternative to the polo look? I was thinking of a...