or Connect

Posts by Superfluous

All three of these are watches I previously circled as pure dress watches I'd want. Perhaps a slightly different A. Lange model (Richard Lange), but strange coincidence anyway. I guess you have good taste.
I like this one:
I think there are ranges of dressy to a "dress watch." If I wanted one for very formal, my favorite is the Patek 5119R, which is a fairly simple dial yet very elegant I think. If I'm looking for something less dressy, then I think I want more out of the dial/design.
Unless you wear your watch upside down, I think you always have to look at aesthetics first, and then the guts second. I just don't think it's anything that spectacular for the amount of attention it receives. Basically a blue dial with a white circle, oversized numbers, and an offset second dial. Of course, I haven't seen it in person, but it's nothing earth shattering from photos.
Am I the only one who thinks the FP Journe Bleu is an internet hype train and not that great looking? The online watch community seems to obsess over it but I think it's just okay looking. I hear there's now a 2 year waiting list for it. I've shown non-online watch community people photos of it and they all dislike it. Internet hype train or not? For those that don't know it, it's a watch made out of tantalum by FP Journe (small company). I believe it's about $20k.
I'm not interested in this right now but I found the watch itself interesting. It's a Glashutte Senator Meissen special model that has a special enamel dial. Very glossy/white, comes off a bit milky in photos. Glashutte Senator Meissen.
I think you look at watches a bit more closely than most of us. For me, the lug style, Lange hands, movement plate, etc. aren't distinct or recognizable enough to be able to identify the brand, while I think Breguet's guilloche, hands, coined case, and numerals (on arabic dials) are quite distinct. I'm not sure I'd be able to blindly identify a new A. Lange design without it saying the company name on the dial. The lugs and hands wouldn't be enough for me to be able to...
I see there's a lot of Richard Lange love. However, its about $30k with minimal discounts, and it has a design found in many other brands. It doesn't have any distinct features that represent A Lange or that watch specifically. It's also on the more dressy side of all of these watches.
I spent some time looking at watches this weekend. Mainly Breguet, A. Lange & Sohne, and Glashutte. Here are some pics of the most notable ones. Breguet 5817B from the Marine collection. This might have ended up my favorite and I really hadn't seen it before. While it looks similar to some of the classiques, it's part of the Marine collection. Part of the reason I liked it better than some of the other Breguets was because of its thickness and weight. It felt a lot more...