or Connect

Posts by DoTheGrownup

Quote: Originally Posted by vinasity Also scored these: Left Florsheim V-Cleat and Right Ferragamo Oxford. Ha! I thrifted that exact same pair of Ferragamos a couple years ago. Studio line, right? I wear them every time it rains, and always get compliments on them.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataku Hell, I'd be thrilled to find a decent pair of shoes at a thrift at any price! That's the only part of my wardrobe that is seriously lacking because people just don't donate nice shoes around here for some reason. I don't really understand it, they'll donate 12 recent Brioni suits and sportcoats, but won't donate one of their pairs of EGs or C&Js? Are there any stores around here that even sell C&J or EG? I...
Quote: Originally Posted by sw20 Spend less on "beater" shoes and allocate some of that shoe money for a car and garaging at home and office Silly to waste (clearly scarce) money trying to be allegedly "well-dressed" after a slummy, sloppy daily commute This is terrible advice. Walking to work is good for your health and good for the earth and you should be applauded for it. When I went from a job where I walked 1.5 miles each way to...
Quote: Originally Posted by deamondeac I am not very knowledgeable about watch mechanics. Can someone please explain why Quartz is a bad thing? What is superior about automatic watches? What should I look for in a watch? Besides the obvious aesthetic value? Quartz watches generally keep better time and require less maintenance than automatic watches. That said, I only have one watch and it is an automatic. If you spend more time around here,...
Quote: Originally Posted by gastarbeider Uncle's Seiko Bellmaster, that he wore during his infantry tour in Vietnam. No clue how he kept it in such good shape. Had to be done. IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a...
Quote: Originally Posted by johnteachl Let me start by saying I am literally addicted to this thread, I can't get over some of the finds. I'm a newbie to SF/Quality clothing, it's UNBELIEVABLE the items you pros find. I am determined to find something for myself, understandable no1 wants to give out their go to spots but I have a very generic thrift store question. Anyone ever score at a "Savers" (large thrift store chain)? I keep hitting one in...
Quote: Originally Posted by wcl I don't know a lot about Vicuna, but given Kiton's pricing and the rareness of that material, that must be one of the most expensive articles of clothing ever made. Holy shit man.
Quote: Originally Posted by EL72 Chocolate brown is nice for cashmere since it's not a 'traditional' color for lambswool like grey or tan. +1 Quote: Originally Posted by EL72 I would recommend you go for a crewneck rather than v-neck. -1
One thing I think is missing is the fit of an item. If I found a pair of brand new expensive shoes, I would surely buy them, knowing I could flip them for a profit. But when I find something really nice that is my size, that's when I really enjoy the thrift hunt. How many of these lots actaully fit the person who found them?
I might need to get some pictures of the Belvest for Davide Cenci navy birdseye suit that I found. I wear it almost every week--definitely my favorite suit in my closet. I consider it my best find in large part because I found the jacket in the Sport Coat section, and tracked down the pants in the pants section. That would have been a tragedy. Paid about $15 for it IIRC. As far as nominations, that Caruso for Hermes suit that showed up here a month or so ago was pretty...