or Connect

Posts by nutcracker

A Visit to Spigola, Kobe How can I complete my visit Kobe without making a pilgrimage to Spigola? A short drive from Il Quadrifoglio, the `temple of shoes` as some like to call, is a lovely, yet imposing structure that they built from the ground up. Koji Suzuki (last making, bottoming), brother Etsuo (upper), and 3 apprentices work hectically around the clock, churning out about 20 pairs of shoes each month. A bespoke powerhouse by any standard, Spigola is ready to...
No, they only make hard leather goods that are made from wooden form.Bellago, also from Kobe, and a buddy of Qnai-san, makes great looking order-made bags and wallets.http://www.bellago.jp
A Visit to Il Quadrifoglio, Kobe I finally had an opportunity to visit the good folks of Il Quadrifoglio at their hometown of Kobe. A short distance from the scenic harbour area, their atelier is located on the 2nd floor of Knocks Bespoke, a co-op workshop they founded with several other shoemakers. Both Yuka and Atsushi Qnai spent some years working in Florence, and they must have brought back a little bit of Italy with them to decorate their charming little space. ...
Sadly I don`t own side elastic shoes, so perhaps some others may chip in! But yes, elastic shoes seem to have a continued popularity in Japan. Here are some pictures I took (with camera) from the old Otsuka Shoes book (pub. 1971) I recently bought. The pics showcase some of the shoes Otsuka made for the royal family. `Royal Footwear` for 3 generations of emperors (Meiji, Taisho, Showa) 1. (top) Side Elastic shoes (Emperor Meiji) 2. (right) Side Elastic boots (Emperor...
Oh forgot about that!Kanda`s got some good unagi`s and soba`s too, if I recall Maybe next time!
I believe the last / pattern is by Tony-san (and his team), and Shoji-san (and wife?) was designated to do the making.Sorry for the grainy photo (my old iPhone).
A very special pair of Gaziano & Girling Bespoke, made by Shoji Kawaguchi Last designed by Tony, shoes executed by Shoji. shoes courtesy of Masa Hasegawa
Violet!!
Excellent observation! Never would have guessed. Thanks for your insight!By the way, today I dropped by Jinbocho, the bookstore town, and scored some old, out of print shoe-related tomes.Top: 100 years of Shoe Industry in JapanBottom two: 100 years of Otsuka ShoesGot lots of fascinating old photos, would love to scan and share on SF one day....
Great translation as always (and nice choice)!! You should show it to Akamine-san Good luck on your new venture too!!!