or Connect

Posts by nutcracker

Thanks for your kind words!MTO shoes` soles are taken to a contracted factory to be machine stitched.The sewing machines for the upper are old Singer Cirdar`s and old Seiko`s.and yes I absolutely agree. Their stitchwork (both bespoke and MTO) is outstanding.
The only international outlet for Spigola (so far) is The Armoury. You may want to catch one of their trunk shows at Hong Kong or New York (this Spring). Perhaps they will take Spigola to their London location (Drakes) too!I don`t think Spigola takes new orders over mail/phone.
FIllers are indeed used to fill the gap (usually on the front half of the sole) for handsewn welted shoes too. Not sure what Spigola uses, probably sheet cork or felt... Factory assembled GYW shoes tend to use a thick layer of hot cork pulp. Someone like Bengal-stripe may have a better answer.
Thanks bud! Oh, I must check it out!A close-up pic of an old Spigola bespoke.... Tight stitches
Hi Bams,Spigola`s MTO shoes are made alongside the bespoke shoes by the same team of craftsmen (Koji, Etsuo etc..): Hand lasted and handsewn welted. The difference (construction-wise) is in the outsole: Spigola bespokes (as well as G&G bespokes) are handstitched, while the MTOs are machine stitched. However, the dress soles of the MTO shoes have hand stitched waist (to hide the stitches).Comparatively, Spigola MTOs are closer to St.C in the construction process, than...
Qnai-san`s basic style (both square and round) are indeed sharp, but less edgy / pointy than those new whole cuts. Recently he`s been getting more requests for aggressive shapes though.... (such as those seen in the pictures)
A Visit to Spigola, Kobe How can I complete my visit Kobe without making a pilgrimage to Spigola? A short drive from Il Quadrifoglio, the `temple of shoes` as some like to call, is a lovely, yet imposing structure that they built from the ground up. Koji Suzuki (last making, bottoming), brother Etsuo (upper), and 3 apprentices work hectically around the clock, churning out about 20 pairs of shoes each month. A bespoke powerhouse by any standard, Spigola is ready to...
No, they only make hard leather goods that are made from wooden form.Bellago, also from Kobe, and a buddy of Qnai-san, makes great looking order-made bags and wallets.http://www.bellago.jp
A Visit to Il Quadrifoglio, Kobe I finally had an opportunity to visit the good folks of Il Quadrifoglio at their hometown of Kobe. A short distance from the scenic harbour area, their atelier is located on the 2nd floor of Knocks Bespoke, a co-op workshop they founded with several other shoemakers. Both Yuka and Atsushi Qnai spent some years working in Florence, and they must have brought back a little bit of Italy with them to decorate their charming little space. ...
Sadly I don`t own side elastic shoes, so perhaps some others may chip in! But yes, elastic shoes seem to have a continued popularity in Japan. Here are some pictures I took (with camera) from the old Otsuka Shoes book (pub. 1971) I recently bought. The pics showcase some of the shoes Otsuka made for the royal family. `Royal Footwear` for 3 generations of emperors (Meiji, Taisho, Showa) 1. (top) Side Elastic shoes (Emperor Meiji) 2. (right) Side Elastic boots (Emperor...