or Connect

Posts by ESElrond

Yes, something similar happened to me with some Aberdeens I ordered off the website when they went on clearance. My size was listed as out of stock (with a ~5 week delivery estimate), and I placed my order near the end of November.I ended up receiving two identical pairs on the same day, shortly before Christmas; one came by FedEx Ground and the other by FedEx 2-day delivery. One pair came from the factory in Port Washington, and the other from a separate (retail)...
I own a pair of Aberdeen longwings and a pair of Pierpont saddle shoes that both use the same smokey grey leather. They take polish just fine -- I've used neutral on both pairs -- so it's not necessary to avoid polish entirely. Applying a darker polish certainly shouldn't "destroy" them, at least in terms of compromising the leather itself.Having a cobbler dye them would probably be your safest bet, but if you're going to try to darken them yourself you should initially...
Presumably, it would be feasible to pursue a pair of shell Cronmoks via Paul Grangaard's MTO offer, if you wanted something along those lines -- or shell Fifth Streets, if a cap-toe were preferred. Don't at least one or two folks have MTO shell Fifth Streets being manufactured right now?At first blush, the pictured boots certainly look like they're built using the Cronmok pattern and 5-last, with the exception of the "colorful" uppers.The (ahem) unusual leather seems...
According to this blog post by Nick Horween on their website, Dublin is the name they've given to a variety of waxed leather made from cowhide that's been tanned using the same sort of liquor used during tanning of shell cordovan. Essex is made using a similar tanning liquor, but is not waxed.I've got a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile "Krause" boots made with black Dublin leather, and given its thickness in comparison to that used in all of my calfskin shoes by AE, I'm...
I don't have any experience using the "travel size" edge dressing applicators from AE, but the foam applicator on the full-size bottles is shaped in such a way that it is fairly easy to apply the dressing to the welt and the heel/sole edge, at least for shoes with a split reverse welt.The shape of the welt provides an inside corner that helps guide the angled tip of the applicator, and you can get good coverage against both "faces" of the welt. I've personally done this...
I've used the natural edge dressing on a few pairs so far, all of which had natural welts and sole edges to begin with -- navy Cronmoks, webgem Neumoks & suede Strands -- and can concur with what's been written already.The main reason to use it is to add protection, with minimal effect on appearance. It dries clear with a low gloss sheen, and (in my opinion) makes the leather appear almost imperceptibly darker. Probably less than the natural variation you might see...
I'm in a similar situation. I typically wear size 10.5 D shoes by Allen Edmonds, and decided to pick up a few pairs of trees with improved vamp support -- I already own a mix of Woodlore split-toe and full-toe trees, all in size L.Per their sizing chart, I ordered a pair of Epic shoe trees in size M. Their width seemed okay, but they were much too short; when inserted into my 10.5 D shoes, they either didn't touch the heel at all, or did so without proper tension.I also...
Like tampatravel mentioned above, neutral cream and wax polishes should work equally well for odd colors (personally, I use neutral for various shades of grey, blue, and white) as well as traditional colors that have contrast stitching (I've got a few pairs of casual shoes & boots that fall into this category).In the latter case, you don't have to pay any "special" attention to avoiding the contrast stitching; just polish those areas as you would normally, if you were...
Last night, I noticed the addition of a new (to me) model to the clearance section of AE's website: the Rawlins. It's a plain-toed blucher on the 8-last, available in black calf (only), and priced at just $247. What seemed particularly odd: it's available in all lengths from 6.5 to 12, but only E width. On top of that, nearly all of the sizes listed are "in stock" without any shipment delay, so they must have stock on-hand already. Can anybody imagine why this might...
I own the Aberdeen in smokey grey leather, rather than the McTavish, but my suggestions should apply equally well to both. The Johnston & Murphy charcoal grey suede belt that I purchased a few years ago is no longer available, but I also recently purchased the following slate grey tumbled leather number by Torino:That belt is available direct from the manufacturer, as well as via Zappos, Sherman Brothers, and a few other sites. Torino also makes a grey suede belt that'd...