or Connect

Posts by Steve Thomas

^^^ Bigger question for you: can you dunk on that basketball goal?
Quote: Originally Posted by artoftime G&G Woburn on the MH71 Love these!!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Black Cherry About two years on the nose, I think? I pretty much wore them constantly, and worked as a janitor for most of that time, so they're pretty beat-up. To echo GS' polishing tips, I'd do them weekly, and switch between colors (usually whatever I had at the time), so they've had coats of black, brown and cordovan. Here's a pair of oxbloods that are more than 20 years old. All they've ever seen is Kiwi...
^^Bad ass. The walkman rotor was the mainstay for the tattoo machines around here. Stomper (remember those battery powered cars) motors also seemed to be a reliable motor for the machines. I've just recently (about 3 months ago) gotten some Black Flag bars tucked nicely into a little opening on my left bicep very close to my pit. It was the last little space I had on my arms. Also have a Minor Threat black sheep. Those are the only "punk" tattoos I have.
Quote: Originally Posted by eightdouble i have found my people in this thread. i can remember getting copies of maximum rock n roll in the late 80s and just ordering 7 inches of anything that looked hardcore. scouring thank you lists and meticulously combing through vinyl bins. i ended up ordering so many shitty records and so many that never came. but that's all there was back then. now you can go to a bands myspace, listen to their songs, paypal them...
Another thing the skinhead look incorporated, at least in this area, were tattoos. They were mostly home done "prison" style. I always thought they looked so bad ass. I was late to the tattoo game and didn't get my first until I was 26. Now though...yup...I'm filling up quickly. Arms, hands and torso are completely covered. Working on filling up my legs. Yes, that's way more tattoos than any of my skinhead friends, but those skinheads in the 80s were the first tattooed...
Quote: Originally Posted by Get Smart fuck yea. it's amazing how *we* all did the exact same things at the same time. Any band that name dropped Minor Threat, 7 seconds, Ian Mackaye etc I would hunt down their record. Usually with good results. +1 on the emulation thing, it's why I started wearing a flatcap around 87...I saw a photo of Stinky Turner from the Rejects wearing one and dug how it looked so went to the old man suit shop and bought a tweed...
Quote: Originally Posted by Get Smart We also ordered a pair from Shellys in England, would mail them an envelope with cash and amazingly got our boots like a couple months later. Looking back, that was pretty nuts to do since chances were you'd be throwing away your money. Everything was a hunt to find the right gear, so different from the instant click and buy convenience of today, I think that's why back then when you saw someone really sussed there...
Quote: Originally Posted by eightdouble had they not had them i doubt i would have ever found them. it's so strange to think about how isolated and hard to get into these little counter culture movements were before the internet. My friends and I have had this discussion on countless occasions. We would spend entire days flipping through 12" and 7" records hoping to get something new or exciting. You'd scour the liner notes of albums and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Steve Thomas For the skinheads in this area, solid colored polos or white t-shirts with jeans was the look. I think this was more because we didn't have the fashion available to us. Getting Docs involved trying on your friends until you found your size then ordering them from a catalog. You sent your money order off and waited months for the box to arrive...and you hoped they were the right size. I knew people who waited...