or Connect

Posts by Belligero

All I know about new cars is that they're an extremely effective way to make money disappear.
^ I've seen that Duomètre dial referred to as "grained", "parchment" and "eggshell". Personally, I'd go with "eggshell". "Grained" is too general of a term, and this one's more what I'd call "parchment": Although if you really think about it, any term from the business card scene in American Psycho would be applicable. "Bone", anyone?
Screw down crowns do nothing on their own to make a watch more watertight; i.e. cranking down hard on them won't have any effect on the sealing. It'll just wear the parts out faster and get things stuck, so go easy on the torque, guys. The main benefit of locking things down using a threaded fastener is that it relieves the stem and seals of applied forces on the crown. An additional plus is that the crown is reliably fixed into position, but it's definitely possible to...
That's their dealer cost in Swiss Francs. The cost you see outside of Switzerland is still going to be higher unless your local currency has also had a massive increase too. It's certainly a buyer's market for those whose cash assets are in CHF, but then again, everything is currently a buyer's market for 'em.
One thing I give Rolex big credit for in the 3136/3156/3187 movements is that they manufacture a larger base plate and date wheel to properly fit the enlarged dimensions of their respective Datejust II, Day-Date II and Explorer II models. Although I prefer the originial size in every case (no pun intended), I appreciate that the embiggened versions didn't just get the same movement marooned inside with a telltale no-man's-land between the date window and the rehaut.I meant...
To each his own, it's just that I prefer not to have a quartz watch whose mechanical components require overhauling in Japan every five years. They're quality watches without a doubt, and you know that I have respect for Seiko as a watchmaker — they're as hardcore as they come as far as manufaturing integrity goes — but I'd still rather get something from the hi-beat mechanical or 9F quartz range if I was going Grand Seiko. If I was buying a watch based on specifications,...
I personally don't think it's a good idea. I'd rather go all-mechanical or normal quartz. Seiko offers some amazingly good conventional quartz movements.The complex hybrid approach seems to combine the worst of both worlds: the maintenance requirements and constant tension/wear of mechanical, and the unserviceable failure mode of micro-electronics. Also, unless it's on your wrist every day, quartz accuracy is essentially meaningless when the watch stops after a few days...
I only like the old Breguet pilot's chronos. The new ones don't do much for me, either.The 3706, 3711 and 3713 are my favourite non-vintage IWC models. They're better-finished in all aspects than Sinn (not that Sinn is deficient), the bracelets are just outstanding, and the design is true to its British MoD roots. They're better watches, and it's reflected in the cost, and I'm still not super-keen on expensive 7750s. The movement was designed from the outset to be...
Well for free, who wouldn't? But would you purchase one new for Daytona money? I sure wouldn't. I would consider a military-issued Type XX from the '50s, however. But really, when you see a military Minerva — from when they were a top watchmaking house, well before suffering the indignity of being eaten by a pen company — listed for €1750, I don't see much point in that option either; at least not for wearing. On the other hand, Breguet XX/XXIs get reamed on resale,...
I dunno. It's all right, I guess. For me, there are many others to consider before getting a modular chrono with overdesigned lugs. Among them is their simpler Type 21, though it apparently uses the same ETA 2892/Dubois-Depraz 42022 combo that gives me the heebie-jeebies for servicing.I do find the MSRP on the Type 21/23 a bit ... optimistic. Nothing against Dodane, as they're an independent company that was one of the original suppliers to civil aviation and NATO, but for...