or Connect

Posts by Belligero

Hey dudes. I wanted to give a bit more detail about the new grinding equipment, so I got my coffee nerd on today and tried out the Lido 3 for pulling espresso shots. Here's what I found. At an espresso setting, the Lido puts out about 1/2 of a gram a second. Grind times were in the 35-40 s range for an 18 g dose that gave a double ristretto extraction in 25 s, and it was easy enough to dial in considering that the adjustment threading isn't really intended for espresso....
^ Although the 2000-series movements from Rolex are incredible performers, even I'll concede that 26 mm is somewhat on the small side for an adult male.
All models in the current men's range use 31XX movements with Parachrom hairspring (cal. 3130, 3131 and 3132), which are essentially identical. They all now have the -2/+2 rating, and the only differences are Kif vs. Paraflex shock protection and base plate diameter.The important thing is that they're all extremely well-designed and well-manufactured movements. It's true that it comes up under the women's choices, and it can work well in that role to give an oversized...
Just catching up on the thread after a few weeks around the Adriatic and northern Italy. Lots of well-thought-out posts to read; there's been some great discussion here lately. Briefly, I'm truly glad to hear that you're enjoying the watch! Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think it's difficult to top that one as a high-quality but still-practical watch that suits everything. I highly appreciate the non-trendy nature of the 36 mm Oyster case and bracelet; they make a classic...
^ Pfft. IWC's 5000-series movement is gigantic, but it's weak in every area you mention except power reserve. And with a balance wheel that small relative to the rest of the movement, you'd expect at least that. With watches, bigger is often more failure-prone if it isn't done right. It's almost as if they just rushed it to market to catch a trend... http://watchguy.co.uk/service-repair-iwc-ingenieur-5005-calibre-51112/ Edit: For anyone who's interested in further...
Much appreciated, Dino! It's funny how details that are insignificant in reality, such as the subdial colour/placement and the lug finish, make it almost justifiable to have two of pretty much the exact same watch.I know it's a subject we've covered a bit before, but I just wanted to mention that your earlier contributions — I first started reading the original SF watch thread in 2008 — were an influence in my taking interest in Rolex in general, and the Daytona in...
^ Patek also has an undersized movement in the 5227, and it's even more obvious because of the inboard positioning of the date window.
Indeed, I'd say that their standards have noticeably slipped, and they've certainly put out a few duds in recent years.Their older watches were lovely across the range, but things done changed. The only area in which Patek unquestionably seems to be leading the industry these days is auction manipulation.
Thanks! I figure it's a good time to buy the OG ones right now while the hype is on the new one, which I'm not convinced will age as well as its predecessors. The black ceramic on polished links/lugs appears to have a whiff of TAG Heuer to it, but I'll reserve judgment until I see one in person. However, it sure seems to lack subtlety.The 4030-movement version essentially has the dial of the new one — which I do like — but with the old-school all-steel exterior; I figure...
Cripes — with all this dad-prep stuff, I forgot to post up that incoming I mentioned earlier; it arrived a week ago. :OAs it's a steel Daytona with the white dial and black rings that seem to be all the rage these days, it's fair to say I was looking forward to it a bit...Just a quick shot for now: [[SPOILER]] Now to figure out which ones to cull... :P