or Connect

Posts by Belligero

Ah, now that's more like it! I appreciate most of Cartier's classic designs, including the Tank Américaine. I still think it would be improved by not having a date display, but at least it's much less jarring than any of the Calibre models.I like to be specific with my critique; how else are they supposed to fix that mess? It seems that Richemont is trying to turn Cartier (and IWC) into another Panerai. It's unfortunate, as they've definitely done better in the recent...
Nothing wrong with 'em, just not worth getting too excited over. On the plus side, servicing can be performed by almost anyone.
The hands, though too short for the dial, are nice.Other than that, I see a lot of amateurish elements, especially the date placement. What's the point of getting ValFleurier to make movements for them so they can claim "in-house" if they can't even be bothered to specify a date wheel that fits the dial? It would have looked fine if the inner edge of the date window aligned with the inner hour-marker circle instead of clumsily sitting inboard. Even worse is the cut-off...
Yes, that's why I was saying that if you're going for a DJII, don't buy new — unlike cars, they hold their value after the inital depreciation hit.Ask a top watchmaker such as Robert Greubel, Stephen Forsey, Roger Smith, Philippe Dufour or Kari Voutilainen: "Are you an artist?"An honest reply would be: "No, I'm an artisan."In some cases, another honest reply could be: "No, I'm a craftsman of tools for illegal economic activities."From money laundering to bribery to just...
Watchmaking involves craftsmanship, and watches can have artisanal qualities, but they're not art. Art has something to say.
It’s just a matter of time before the 32XX movements replace their 31XX counterparts across the range; the date-only 3235 is already in service with the Pearlmaster 39. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been deliberately limited to one expensive niche model at the start to allow for production refinements before ramping up the output for bigger-selling models.IMO, the 1 mm difference isn’t that big of a deal either, though it’s a step in the right direction. What I find more...
^ Yup, it sucks pretty bad when that happens. It's a very good sign that the watch is still running well, though. I wouldn't worry too much about having damaged the movement by operating the chronograph; the actuator on a 7750 is simply a large flat surface that isn't affected by misalignment of the pusher. It should be an easy and not-too-expensive repair as long as the case threads aren't damaged. I'd recommend to take it to a local watchmaker to check whether it's...
By "mechanically unforgiving", I mean that there's very little tolerance for wear in the 2121, so it's critical to keep it maintained. Earlier this year, a friend of mine bought a 15202 that had been to AP for a 45000 NOK (6850 USD equivalent at the time) service in October 2014 with its previous owner. The cost was unexpected; the watch was running without apparent issues when it was brought in. Unfortunately, it had gone somewhat dry and several major components were...
Yes, shackles: (two random photos nicked via google images, both apparently from rolexforums.com) Or manacles?
Disregarding practical matters, my general view is:15202 > (15300) > 15450 > 15400Although quick-set date and power reserve are essentially irrelevant in a "one watch" situation, there are some practicalities to consider. An important one is that the 15202's ultra-thin cal. 2121 movement — though absolutely lovely — is mechanically unforgiving. I'd wear it carefully... much more so than other steel watches. It's also one of the few for which I'd stick to the manufacturer's...