or Connect

Posts by Belligero

This photo has been posted in this thread before by Kaplan and possibly others, but it seems like it's custom-made for the three-kilobuxx medical-student's-watch answer:photo credit: uhrenbilder.blogspot.comRationale:No upgrade-itis (you'll likely continue to enjoy wearing it regardless of what you get in the future)Classic, non-trendy design (arguably even gets better with age)Simple and understated (I'm appreciating these characteristics more and more for an everyday...
That Jumbo is just obscenely good-looking.
Thanks!That's the strap that's original to the watch. It has a rubber exterior, and the lining is some kind of waterproofed (silicone-impregnated?) leather. Whatever it is, I'm impressed, since it doesn't look a bit worse for wear despite having been exposed to seawater many times. (It does get a freshwater rinse afterwards, just like any watch should.) Would kop again.Hodinkee's photos on that strap are far better than any I currently have:photo credit: hodinkee,...
I was considering various APs but decided on the stainless Daytona (and later repeated the process with the new Sea-Dweller over similarly-priced AP options); no regrets. I like the white dial, and it photographs particularly well, but I swapped out to the black dial after the first year, as I find that it works better on my rainy-country-residing wrist. I still have the white dial should I ever opt to swap back.I'm more than satisfied with the watches I have, so I've...
Regrets; they're certainly high-quality, extremely well-finished watches, and I didn't want to suggest that they're valueless. I guess I just have strong feelings about that date display.
Agreed with the other guys; buying a new Calatrava just isn't appealing compared to what else is available for that money. You're not the only one who's skeptical about the alleged difficulty of producing that caseback. I call bullshit on the "two years to develop" thing referred to in this Hodinkee advertorial; it's a just a damn hinge, not to mention the fact that hinged backs have been on pocketwatches basically forever. I recently got to play with one on an old Lange...
You'd expect so......but, no.To be fair, that movement is from the infamous PAM 318 model — you don't exactly need a crew of rocket surgeons to knock that one off. Without doubt, part of Richemont's motivation for transitioning to Val Fleurier "in-house" movements for Panerai is due to the ease of counterfeiting something that uses the (solid/reliable, but very easily available) Unitas 6497 calibre.But as far as I'm concerned, the only thing that's to be said on the...
Thanks for that. Looks like one of the Swiss gnomes might have been partying too hard before his shift.I wonder if the Sea-Dweller's fully-indexed bezel ended up on a no-date Submariner; that could look good.
Given the choice between those two, I'd stick with your Speedmaster, as it's a better-looking and cooler watch. The other two are a bit try-hard for my liking.