or Connect

Posts by Belligero

they get disrespectdue to heavy cheese flavoursponsorship: N/A
Yep, I hear ya. Although standards exist, not every company understands or follows them. To confuse things further, there's the usual ignorant braying from self-appointed experts with high google search rankings, the ever-clueless Arial Adams being foremost among them. It's unfortunate that some manufacturers themselves perpetuate the misinformation out there about pressure ratings; it's a deceptive practice and I'd go so far as to say that it's fraudulent in some cases....
Used Sinn 556 on bracelet, Nomos Club, 34 mm Rolex on strap (patience required), some Seiko whatchamacallit or a well-looked-after pie pan Constellation would all be in the running. New... I dunno.
That's true, but I'm talking about the conditions that exist in things like fuel, cooling, hydraulic and fire suppressant systems. Also, ratings are stated in gauge pressure rather than absolute pressure, so the 1 atm at surface doesn't count.
What a disservice these dealers did. You certainly don't need a diver's watch for use in water. At least they got the maintenance thing right, although you'd be surprised how long the interval can be. One of my GMTs went seventeen years on its unserviced original seals before it finally failed a pressure test. Also, whether a crown screws down has nothing to do with its pressure resistance. Nor is there any luck involved with exposing a maintained and tested watch to its...
Oh great, here we go again. Unfortunately, there is a lot of myth and misinformation about the water resistance thing. This is not a complicated subject. If the watch will keep out water at X bar pressure, then it's OK to say so. If not, then it shouldn't be on the watch or in printed specifications. It's regrettable that some of the manufacturers themselves are the source of so much of the BS that keeps coming up on watch forums, such as a 3 bar / 30 m rating only being...
This photo has been posted in this thread before by Kaplan and possibly others, but it seems like it's custom-made for the three-kilobuxx medical-student's-watch answer:photo credit: uhrenbilder.blogspot.comRationale:No upgrade-itis (you'll likely continue to enjoy wearing it regardless of what you get in the future)Classic, non-trendy design (arguably even gets better with age)Simple and understated (I'm appreciating these characteristics more and more for an everyday...
That Jumbo is just obscenely good-looking.
Thanks!That's the strap that's original to the watch. It has a rubber exterior, and the lining is some kind of waterproofed (silicone-impregnated?) leather. Whatever it is, I'm impressed, since it doesn't look a bit worse for wear despite having been exposed to seawater many times. (It does get a freshwater rinse afterwards, just like any watch should.) Would kop again.Hodinkee's photos on that strap are far better than any I currently have:photo credit: hodinkee,...