or Connect

Posts by Belligero

The Speedmaster is a fantastic watch, and I think it's one of the best-looking in production. It's well worth having.But if I was going with a single watch to wear all the time, and wasn't doing any ... uh ... chronograph-ing, the 36 mm OP would be the one to have. It's essentially the same thing as the 36 mm Explorer, but with the newer clasp and bracelet. It's ideal for the one-watch scenario, especially with either the blue 3-6-9 or the grey baton-marker dial options.So...
Nah; I like the steel bezel. It's when you add the shiny links, lugs and subdial accents that the reflective surface area starts getting noticeable. It works, although my preference in an everyday watch is for understatement. It's really not that bad; the classic size and shape keeps it from being too obnoxious, especially when it slips under long sleeves so easily. I tend to not to think about it once it’s on the wrist β€” it goes with everything.Although an aftermarket...
OK, I have a bit of catching up to do in this thread, so here goes. The number of posts each day seems to be increasing dramatically since the thread started (though not necessarily the amount of actual content), so regrets if I've missed anyone.My previous Steven Seagal sugar-drink comparison wasn't entirely spot-on for the "DEEPSEA" colour, but it conveys my opinion of the watch closely enough, and I stand by my initial reaction. I'm not the biggest fan of the 116660...
OK, here's more non-Rolex content: I sold this one last week; nice watch but I never really wore it. No plans for another watch as a replacement. But if I do get something, it'll very likely be manufactured by Rolex. I'm oafish like that.
The 5131 isn't exactly a paragon of dial design virtue, either. Don't even get me started on how wrong it is to use all caps in script... :P
each is qualityand enough to satisfywithout excusesdetails to follow
Since some people can't resist referring to every model by an insipid nickname, I kinda hope "Zoolander" sticks with that crowd.The predictable "Deep Blue" just wouldn't fit with the make-believe-character theme.
Thanks, Dino!You're absolutely right; the dial is the core visual element in a wristwatch, and one in which every detail counts, regardless of the style. While some manufacturers seem to be content to settle for less-refined execution these days β€” hey, people still buy them, right? β€” just consider the influence that small differences on the dial can have on the future desirability. A different colour of printing, the addition/deletion of an item, or subtle changes in...
That made me crack a smile. Since the original Mussolini's-military-commissioned Panerai watches from the 1930s used Rolex Oyster pocketwatch cases with lugs soldered on, you can kind of see where they were going with that idea, but it's still pretty contrived in my opinion.