or Connect

Posts by johanm

Got it - wasn't suggesting that you guys are concealing the price, was just reflecting on how the "ga-ga" got started for the other tailors mentioned by Grammaton Cleric, and noticed that I didn't see the prices in this thread.
I think they would need a vox, mafoofan, medtech type of guy to post a bunch of photos of finished garments and get the word of mouth ball rolling. Also it would be nice to know the price list beforehand.
Those Lobbs are awesome - restrained and elegant.
Ordered 6 shirts from the 120/2 Cam 2000 range - classic stripes for day to day wear. Luxire - you're probably working on it, but I'm sure customers would like to see the full Pronto book if possible. Many good lines, including Cam 2000, Skyline, Skipper, Luna, and the linen/cottons. Also, do you expect to offer G&R's seasonal collections, especially the Cam 2000 fancy stripes and checks?
I love Luxire's ambition. They're like online MTM's equivalent of Jeff Bezos and Amazon circa 1996. We're watching history in the making.
Ambrosi's price is due to a number of factors. One, internet hype. Two, many people find that he has a clearer and more appealing vision for trouser fit/silhouette than competitor tailors. Three, he takes a "no cutting corners" approach to construction and embellishment, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Is it wrong to appreciate handwork on aesthetic grounds, even if it doesn't affect the fit? Is it really any different from swelled edges on a jacket lapel, or...
I'd say Ambrosi's market draw is the ability to achieve a contemporary slim silhouette along with precise fit. It's hard to find bespoke pleated trousers that fit properly while looking cool the way Ambrosi's do. Maybe NSM or some other Neapolitan makers can do a similar job, but most traditional tailors produce old man pants or get the proportions wrong when attempting slim pants. Anyway the handwork is just an embellishment to justify the high margins, much like David...
Went today as well, picked up a couple of ties and plaid merino scarves for spring. Nice selection though very crowded around noon.
Personally I don't think flannel looks right without cuffs and a fair amount of break, i.e. with a rich and comfy effect, like a chunky sweater.
I'd definitely prefer them to continue shipping out each item as soon as it's done, following a first in/first out system, for their core MTM operation at least. Would consider this a model of efficiency for this type of business. It's conceivable that there would be different shipping schedules for CMT, remakes, alterations, RTW, etc., as they might be handled by different teams, or even an overstretched individual as opposed to a full scale factory.