or Connect

Posts by johanm

What do you think of speculations about a SS ceramic bezel Daytona? I came across some mockups online and was pretty intrigued.I do think the market is anticipating some "improvements" for the next Daytona as the secondary market for SS 116520s is tanking. Looking at rolexforums and Timezone, you see BNIB new serial, open warranty examples going for about $11-11.5k, LNIB with warranty for $10-10.5k, with new listings every day. Could not have imagined this % drop below...
I'd say there's a lot more overlap between indemnity/warranty than representation/warranty. If you really wanted to make a distinction, warranty is probably more "limited" in the sense that the future promise corresponds to the state of the item at sale (e.g. manufacturing defects) whereas an indemnity can serve as insurance or security against any type of future loss. This conversation is slightly off-topic.
I don't know of any deeper legal significance, but in ordinary English a "representation" is a description of something and a "warranty" is a promise or guarantee to do something prospectively. If you're selling something you may give a detailed or vague representation of that thing, and/or make an broad or narrow commitment to rectify problems that may arise after the sale. A bad representation is false or inaccurate, a bad warranty is unavailable or unfulfilled.
I think you're losing focus with your argument. You made a valid point that deviations from orthodoxy shouldn't be arbitrary and capricious. Fuuma echoed the point by contrasting design gimmicks against innovations driven by genuine points of view and vision. No one would deny this or that there is good design and bad design. The other points you're making are just arbitrary and unpersuasive pronouncements - casting the history of clothes as linear/incremental/universal...
Some additional examples of Davide Taub's work below. I think it's pretty clear that while he doesn't feel constrained by the "lexicon of classic tailoring" or whatever, his work doesn't lack a point of view or commitment. [[SPOILER]]
For what it's worth, the tailor of those jackets, Davide Taub, has a reputation for being fairly avante garde for Savile Row (particularly for being head cutter at one of the oldest houses, Gieves & Hawkes). An excerpt from a recent interview:http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/12/davide-taub-style-and-tailor.html
This jacket illustrates the benefit of a bespoke overcoat. OTR ones usually look too baggy when worn over a suit. This looks slim and sculpted, with room in just the right places to accommodate layers.
I really like this post. No one should feel pressure to wear a watch, let alone throw down significant money for an expensive watch. Watches have little practical utility - there are much more effective and inexpensive ways to tell time, appreciate human ingenuity and craftsmanship, improve your appearance, impress strangers, signal taste, etc. IMO the only reason to buy a watch is the enjoyment you get when you look down at your wrist.+1. Must say that the quality of...
The "competition" is apparently at the stage where Omega is trying to position as a true alternative to Rolex, so need to price accordingly. Probably why they're releasing the Milgauss knockoff. OTOH I've handled the 42mm Planet Ocean and the 44mm Speedmaster and have to admit they feel and look as refined as the any of the current SS Rolex models, which was definitely not the case with the earlier Seamasters or hesalite Speedy. Their in-house 8500 movements are also...
Love the black/black port chrono. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a leather strap watch in the 6-8k range with as much character and presence. If you increase your budget you can also look at the portuguese automatic, also great in black.