or Connect

Posts by johanm

Fair enough - I can only speak about my jackets. FWIW, I posted in this thread a while ago about how my first black lamb TOJ was rather firm and dry, and the second one was comparatively soft. Can't imagine anyone touching either and thinking that either was particularly "luxurious" unless, as I said, said person has literally never set foot in a high end department store or handled luxury gloves or handbags. In any event, I think the TOJ lamb looks and feels great, and...
That fit and proportions of that jacket are really outstanding. Is that from Liverano's ready to wear line?
Nice post. I like these points:People sometimes expend too much effort trying to resist these general ideas, often with all types of abstract theory and historical references, and end up spending lots of time on SF and $$$ to look only as good, or worse, than a random guy who walks into Brooks Brothers, Barneys, etc. and lets the salesman pick out his suits.
I wasn't saying lamb is bad, just that it isn't as luxurious as it's made out to be in this thread. I associate luxury in leather with buttery softness, like what you get from Loro Piana or RLPL, or the countless designer women's handbags made of lambskin (I haven't felt any Tom Ford leathers in person). The TOJ lamb is surely more sturdy and robust than those, but not nearly as impressive at first touch. There's a lot of exaggeration in this thread - so much so that when...
The black goat is not crispy and I wouldn't call it heavily textured. It's quite soft and has a grain pattern, but it's not pebbled (i.e. the texture is not raised).Personally based on owning 1 black goat and 2 black lamb jackets (one thick and one thin), I'd recommend the goat. It performs better and is all around more luxurious and expensive feeling than the lamb. I actually think the "luxe" aspect of the lamb is way overrated. It performs well, but it's much harder than...
Ramones? Dior homme? You can't really generalize.
I wouldn't be surprised if some tailor caught wind of this SF group buy and complained to Reid & Taylor. I know that Shirtmaven from CEGO has directly complained to Grandi & Rubinelli, among other shirting merchants, about forum members organizing direct group buys. It undermines the tailor's ability to add a markup on the cloth on top of the tailoring charge, and also forces them to compete with CMT tailors that might not have the scale or resources to offer the name...
I think you've nailed it
Just as a point of clarification, the "goth" in goth culture and "goth ninja" doesn't reference the visigoths of Sack of Rome fame, but rather 19th century gothic literature like Edgar Allen Poe, Marquis de Sade, etc.
Fuuma's not the first person I've heard articulate those goals (i.e. intentionally painful, uncomfortable, vexing) for this clothing genre...you can read similar ideas on SZ, possibly even in transcripts of interviews with the relevant designers. Still I guess it probably isn't always the true objective, and may sometimes be a way to establish credibility or mystique for the brand.