or Connect

Posts by UnFacconable

That's the beauty of subpremium to me, I don't mean it as an insult. It's like "near luxury" but without being on the spartan to luxury scale and without being so annoyingly aspirational. There are plenty of cars that I would happily own that I consider subpremium. Yukon Denali is probably the top of the list right now. If I lived in the country and/or was Jack Bauer and/or weighed 300 lbs and/or had a bunch of kids, I'd drive the hell out of a Denali. I always feel...
still a bit surprised people aren't going gaga for the Alfa 4C. 2400 lbs, unassisted steering, carbon fiber tub, fuel efficient and $55k base price (well once the $70k launch editions sell out). If I were looking for a subpremium (I should trademark this phrase and license it to Acura) mid engined sports car this would seem to top the list. The transmission doesn't appear to be that great and the quality is unproven but it has so many things going for it that I am...
There's something to be said for underpowered cars. You can drive the stink out of them and feel like you're really getting after it without getting a felony. Especially in urban driving. My wife had more fun canyon carving in her old saturn than she did in an e90. Plus some drivers have trouble keeping their car on the road, so having less available power could be a life extender.
Yeah, but on the other hand how many manufacturers replace batteries for 2+ year old devices. Slightly unfortunate timing for me but I'm sill good with my new battery and I guess the time saved.
And right on cue, Apple decides to replace defective batteries like mine. Too bad they didn't make this decision 2 weeks ago before I got so fed up I bought a battery and did it myself.
cbrown85 - $15k buys a lot of used car. If you want another sedan, I think you should be able to get a 3 or 4 year old Mazda 6 or Accord both of which are fun to drive and would get you years of low-maintenance trouble free driving. Assuming you were relatively happy with your accord up until the tunnel-cide, I would imagine you would love the newer version. I drive a friend's 2003 Mazda 6 from time to time and would happily take it as a daily driver. I would caution...
Sure it will likely be discernibly lower power than the 2014 model but by a larger margin more powerful and torquier than the version you are currently driving as well as a pinch lighter due to the smaller engine. To the extent it seems like anyone cares what car you get, the only way it impacts us is hearing about it for the next 3 years every time someone asks for a recommendation for a four wheeled vehicle. If you like your current ride there should be little doubt...
Companies are also using twin scroll turbos now which sounds like a twin turbo but really isn't, although it does reduce lag. http://www.popsci.com/content/two-one-turbochargerPio - with bated breath we all await the first instrumented testing of a 2015 GL450. I will come back and eat crow if it's more than half a second slower to 60 mph than last year's. If this is really about acceleration, I don't think you will have a problem with the new model. And for the record,...
I'm a bit skeptical of that 5.8 second quote for the old GL450. Doesn't the 550 do the trick in 5.5 seconds? Would expect the old 450 to be in the 6's if the new one is at 6.6. No way are you going to see that much of a difference in acceleration. But hey, you're the expert right?
Yes they are downsizing almost every class but there are some curious choices in the US. In other markets the ml350 is being replaced by the ml400 but here they will be sold side by side with the ml400 priced $12k or so higher for 25 hp and 80 lb ft along with additional standard equipment. Not sure that makes a ton of sense and unlike in the GL450 where the HP stays the same, the ML400 is a lot less powerful then the ML550 at basically the same price point depending on...