or Connect

Posts by bobm

Quote: Originally Posted by Dewey Where exactly do you read something on that page that suggests the leather on the Katahdins is not suitable for LP? I ask because I am curious how something as simple as LP could be harmful to leather as basic as what comes with the Katahdins. Also note that these are cheap work boots. It is somewhat absurd to baby them or worry over them in any way. LP or no LP, whatever you like, there's no need to make complicated...
Quote: Originally Posted by bradsmitty Whats up guys. I have been lurking on this thread and other ones discussing the heritage line of boots for a couple weeks now and finally bought a pair of the rust colored 1000 miles last week. These are my first pair of nice leather boots and I was wondering if you all had recommendations for what to do and what to use on these boots to make them look as good as possible in the long term. Any suggestions would...
Quote: Originally Posted by EClayton08 Placed my 1000 mile boots, whats the best stuff to put on them? Posted this yesterday. Quote: Originally Posted by auggie What have you guys been using to maintain your boots? I've been using obenauf's cream every so often, but am wondering if there is something better that I could be using? Btw...these boots are fantastic. thanks I just ordered this product (Montana Pitch Blend) from a NYC...
Quote: Originally Posted by auggie What have you guys been using to maintain your boots? I've been using obenauf's cream every so often, but am wondering if there is something better that I could be using? Btw...these boots are fantastic. thanks I just ordered this product (Montana Pitch Blend) from a NYC retailer (Leffot) today and they are showing it used on the 1000 mile boots - which I have. I am hesitant to use Obenauf's on these...
Quote: Originally Posted by sharks9022 Wear your boots like a man. Not wanting to get boots beat up sounds really girly. Dude, I have contructiion boots that I beat the hell out of, doesn't mean I don't have to waterproof them too. But I will use construction boots for their intended purpose and the 1000 miles for walking and light hikes, so just because I am not using them for yardwork, construction type work, doesn't mean I am going to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Stylin-1 They look good a little beaten up. Agreed! Bob
Quote: Originally Posted by Stylin-1 Good god, they're brand new boots. Just wear them, and down the road when you think they need some care maybe post the question in the Wolverine 1000 Mile thread? Well, I have worn them a bit and in the city they do get a scraping, soooooooooooooo to take out some of the light scrapes and scuffs, I wanted to take care of it. These won't be my walking/work boot, as I gave the Katadins for the heavy/dirty...
Ok, got them in brown, love them. Beautiful leather, very comfortable. How best to care for them - mink oil? I am way hesitant to use Obenauf's even though they are a much different leather than my Katahdins. Is there a good shoe polish to recommend? Did anyone have their shoemaker attach a rubber sole to the leather sole? Good idea? Bob
Quote: Originally Posted by Froosh For waterproofing/protection, Obenauf's LP. Will darken the boots, but lighten up over time/wear. For conditioning, Lexol conditioner. Will darken temporarily, lightens up after a few hours. Bob: have you been wearing them a lot? They should have lightened up somewhat. No, I haven't worn them a lot, but I have worn them and I also left them out in the sun to lighten/dry them, but I will keep wearing...
Quote: Originally Posted by obeserabbit so i'm still kinda confused on how to treat the boots..obenaufs? mink oil? both? sno-seal is similar to obenaufs? I will repeat again, do not use Obenauf's oil or LP on these boots. If you read Obenauf's site they do not recommend using it on leather such as is used on the Katahdin's. I only wish that I read that before I used it on mine. Completely changed the color and texture - in time hoping wears...