or Connect

Posts by bobm

Quote: Originally Posted by hendrickb11 I hear that these boots run slightly large. With the idea that that comment is a bit vague, how much larger are the Wolverine sizes than a typical size 12? My 10 D ran true to size, but my own 2 cents is that on boots like these, which are meant to be worn and walked in for long stretches, a thicker sock is recommended. The soles are leather- which means you feel the ground way more than a rubber sole,...
Quote: Originally Posted by alexspecs Bought some Wolverine Ascot's. Arrived in the mail today. Pictures for all! The leather was so dry when I first touched them. This was taken a few minutes after whole lot of lexol conditioner was applied Nice and dry Wow, those Ascots are nice! I think that I like them better than the 1000 miles boots that I bought a couple of months back. With the rubber soles, these look to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Michigan Planner Luckily(?) I went through six-years of wearing various combat boots non-stop while in the Marine Corps and have a nice collection of thicker socks that are great for boots. My feet and ankles were destroyed years ago... I can take whatever these Katahdins can throw at me! I Agree about the socks; a heavy/thick, wool/wool blend sock really adds comfort around your whole foot and ankle. Bob
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinhas Cool, where did you get yours? I will be getting a pair as well, and since your in NYC, could you tell me where you got yours and if they had a good selection? I am still debating between the brown and rust. Try Leffot's - it's on Christopher St in the West Village. Bob
Quote: Originally Posted by Crane's Bob I'll agree with your assessment that the 1000 mile boots would not be the perfect choice for serious hiking. I've noticed they can be slick as snot on ice when walking in mud or on wet leaves on incline/declines. One of the things I'm considering is having my leather guy remove the rubber heel plate and install a lugged vibram one in it's place. That should be all that's needed for my light/casual hiking...
Here's my take on the 1000 mile boots. Great looking, got them in brown and love that color. I have worn them walking around the city-full 8 hour days - good support and very comfortable, BUT not exactly any type of challenge. Last week I was in Montana for a few days (Mountain Sky Ranch - highly, highly recommended) and wore them for the full days - hiking, riding, etc. They did fit the bill for the hikes, through muddy trails and lots of rocks, some small steams etc....
To those using Sno-seal on the boots - does using that product still allow the leather to breathe? Bob
[quote=Rambo;3667607]I had to size down a full size in the 3E 1000 miles. They fit pretty damn perfect now. Just took them out of the box and polished them up with the Montana pitch blend. Gorgeous. My feeling too with the Montana Pitch Blend. Bob
Quote: Originally Posted by Dewey hmm ok bobm not persuaded but thank you for taking the time to answering my questions. i'll assert a $160 full retail price is not expensive for quality boots. we can agree to disagree on that. i think they look better after LP. before LP the leather looks thirsty to me. i don't like how they look right out of the box or beat to hell with no oiling at all. oiled leather wants more oil. that's my sense. yes the LP...
Quote: Originally Posted by dkatz How does the Montana Pitch stack up against Obenauf's products, namely LP and their leather oil? Honestly don't know, not enough time and rain to have made any type of comparison in terms of longevity or actual weather protection, but MTB does not darken the color anywhere near as much as the Obenauf's. Bob