or Connect

Posts by tattersall

Two nice pours on hand tonight - to start, a very reliable grower champagne from Kermit Lynch: Veuve Fourny NV grande reserve. Nice bead, fresh, yeasty, good extended lees contact... With an asparagus quiche and salad, Baumard Savennieres Trie Speciale. Bone dry and mineral yet very rich, an almost oily mouthfeel - just spectacular.
Enjoying a Savennieres right now - Domaine des Baumard Clos du Papillion - flinty with nice acidity.
It was really delicious - powerful with substantial alcohol but well balanced. It had a bit of sous-bois and then it was all red cherries and fresh herbs both on the nose and in the mouth. Expensive for a barbera but a very well-made traditional wine. Bottle was finished quite quickly - always a good sign.
Tonight is this from Conterno, a very fine producer - I've had the pleasure of sampling some of his older Barolos courtesy of a generous friend and was tempted to give his Barbera a whirl. It's breathing, probably too young, but Barberas should be more approachable in youth. So far the aromas are promising - herbal, sweet, red fruit.
My wife likes Rosabaya, I like the Fortissio lungo for lattes
There's so much variety - it's a pretty big geography...For me, for the whites, the traits I look for in the Loire are wines that are mineral and with noticeable but not overpowering acidity; the granite in the west and the limestone and marl as you head east. I don't know how I would describe what I like in the reds but I would say more freshness and floral (violets) notes than from other regions, nothing overly tannic. Grape varieties are quite diverse - melon de...
LOL
Yes some armagnac is from baco, but it's the blanc variety - the noir is another hybrid that's crossed with a very hardy grape that's indigenous to north armerica. It's mostly grown in Ontario as you said earlier. In BC the similar phenomenon are these crazy german hybrids (ehrenfelser, bacchus, kerner) that were planted and thankfully are now being ripped up in favour of the more noble varieties - there is lots of this bad wine still being produced here unfortunately.
It was 0.15% of grapes planted in BC last year, hardly important.
Ha, Gigondas for us too tonight... To start a nice and bracing sauvignon blanc from the Loire: Clos Roche Blanche '10 from Roussel & Barrouillet: and currently getting a long breather, '08 Domaine Pallieres les Racines: