or Connect

Posts by tattersall

I've never tipped at a tasting.
I've heard it was closer to 90% but that number is dropping because of higher local consumption. Certainly where I am in BC there are tons available live, fresh and flash frozen. I haven't noticed a drop in quality but prices have certainly risen.
This cuvee had minimal oak but I understand some of their Cortons get a high proportion of new barrels. I was impressed with this bottle and while 'great values' and Burgundy seldom go together, I think this one definitely punched above it's weight.
Still going strong on my Loire kick... Baumard Savennieres splits from '02 Some Charles Joguet Chinon Varennes... and Cure Case of Domaine de la Pepiere Clos des Briords Muscadet '10 - this is a great summertime white and a bit of Burgundy - Tollot Beaut Savigny-les-Beaune - this shows so well well young, minimal oak from this producer, fruity and fresh pinot noir
These are great summertime wines and I endorse your post. Salvard's white (85/15 sauvignon blanc/chardonnay) is worth seeking out too for a crisp and mineral white that is very reasonably priced.
Gomestar lives well.
Two nice pours on hand tonight - to start, a very reliable grower champagne from Kermit Lynch: Veuve Fourny NV grande reserve. Nice bead, fresh, yeasty, good extended lees contact... With an asparagus quiche and salad, Baumard Savennieres Trie Speciale. Bone dry and mineral yet very rich, an almost oily mouthfeel - just spectacular.
Enjoying a Savennieres right now - Domaine des Baumard Clos du Papillion - flinty with nice acidity.
It was really delicious - powerful with substantial alcohol but well balanced. It had a bit of sous-bois and then it was all red cherries and fresh herbs both on the nose and in the mouth. Expensive for a barbera but a very well-made traditional wine. Bottle was finished quite quickly - always a good sign.
Tonight is this from Conterno, a very fine producer - I've had the pleasure of sampling some of his older Barolos courtesy of a generous friend and was tempted to give his Barbera a whirl. It's breathing, probably too young, but Barberas should be more approachable in youth. So far the aromas are promising - herbal, sweet, red fruit.