or Connect

Posts by tattersall

The portions are monstrous but the beef goulash there was really good.
Well I can't believe I have to explain a $35 bottle of wine to you lot of high-rollers... Well there's geography - the land is within spitting distance of the Med and a short commute from Marseille - and it also doesn't help that Parker called it the best rose in the world so there is your price explanation. For me, not only is it delicious but it is the most delicious rose I know and brings back a lot of nice memories for me and my wife. I buy this by the case but I also...
Last night's detritus - Tempier Bandol Rose and Langhe Nebiollo from the NYT $20 wines... Tonight being chilled... the powers of persuasion (thanks Piob and Matt...)
As they say in Ontariario, that's a good eatin' fish.We arrive in Muskoka on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to some pickerel.
Enjoyed this last night - '06 Fevre Montee de Tonnerre. Austere but starting to mellow; mineral and lemony with a touch of oak but certainly not in excess.
I've yet to be disappointed by Produttori. Speaking of lower end bottlings from good producers - this Barbera from Giacomo Conterno is excellent - not quite a $20 bargain (and expensive for a Barbera) but so well made and drinkable for something so young...
A propos the Nebbiolo conversation above, that Produttori Langhe @ ~$20 is a nice example of how accessible a young Nebbiolo can be in the right hands. I've had it a few times and it needs a rough pour and swirl to get it to open up but I think it is a nice pizza or grilled meat wine.
Red or rose Sancerre is always 100% pinot and they're generally not easy to find as the quantities are small. I've had pretty good ones from Vacheron and from Mellot. There's another Reverdy (not Hippolyte that makes a great white) which is supposed to be very good for red but I've never had it (Pascal and Nicolas Reverdy).
Enjoying this right now - much more rounded and complex than most Loire reds - this is very good indeed!
Not the best Bourgueil? I would agree, but I don't think that it aspires to greatness - it's a nice light red and drunk a bit cool in the summer with something off the grill and shared with friends it is delicious.