or Connect

Posts by tattersall

I don't know much about Ontario reds (I'm in BC) but I've had some Norman Hardie pinots that were very nice from Prince Edward County.
We've enjoyed two bottles from the case I bought and it's drinking just fine. I read some of the CT notes a while ago and some reported that it was closed and needed a few years. That's not been my experience. It's definitely a restrained wine but that's what I like about it. Credit to Slew and Gome for first talking about this producer here...
Give the 2008 Cotes de Nuits-Village a try - it's probably the least expensive one out there. I can get it for $40 but they're asking $55 for the '09 where I shop. There is a regular Bachelet Bourgogne which is ok but I'd go for the CdN-V...
Just took a sip of this while it's breathing for tonight: 2004 d'Angerville Volnay Clos des Ducs. Very supple and fragrant.
I don't know if any of you have tried the burgs from Dominque Laurent - he's a negoce with a very heavy hand when it comes to oak that tends to obliterate what I find so charming about burgundy wines, their elegance. I bought a few bottles from different vintages and appelations before I knew any better and this was the last one in my cellar. Maybe it was the vintage, maybe the vinification just that I won't buy this dude's wine anymore as it's been clunker after...
Hopefully it will pan out, Piob, as '98 in Chateauneuf was stellar. We opened a Ch de Beaucastel '98 on Saturday and it was sublime.Dinner on Saturday stretched out over seven hours with some wine loving friends. We had a few interesting bottles...Started off with an Albert Mann Gewurztraminer which was all spice and lycheeFollowed by an '05 riesling grand cru from Ostertag - medium dry with beautiful florals and a hint of petrolReds began with an '04 Cote Rotie from Jamet...
Fume Blanc and for Piob .. Baco Noir
I've just cellared a half case each of Le Mont demi-sec and Haut-Lieu sec from the 2011 vintage - I haven't read any reviews of the vintage but was certainly aware that it was Pinguet's last. Clos du Bourg and Le Mont are Huet's better vineyards but Haut-Lieu does offer an attractive lower price point. I love these wines for their bracing acidity and revel in how a single grape variety can be used to make so many deliciously different styles of wine. I find the Champalou...
The portions are monstrous but the beef goulash there was really good.
Well I can't believe I have to explain a $35 bottle of wine to you lot of high-rollers... Well there's geography - the land is within spitting distance of the Med and a short commute from Marseille - and it also doesn't help that Parker called it the best rose in the world so there is your price explanation. For me, not only is it delicious but it is the most delicious rose I know and brings back a lot of nice memories for me and my wife. I buy this by the case but I also...