or Connect

Posts by abl

Hey all! I am looking for a pair of dressy-casual shoes, something ideally on the level of walnut AE strands -- e.g., a shoe that you could wear to work with nice slacks as well as to dress up jeans after work. My budget's about $125 -- although ideally I'd like to stick closer to $100 (and would maybe stretch up to $150 for the right pair). I'm happy buying used from eBay so long as the shoe's in good shape. Any tips?? (I've been looking for strands in my size --...
What's your budget for a suit? Some of the cheaper online MTM folks might be an option. Honestly, given your body, I think it's probably worth saving up a bit and picking up one of the ~$400-500 MTM online options. Ebay and consignment stores are great for people who are looking for a 38R or something else pretty standard, but it's hard for me to imagine that you'll manage to find something that works.
Yea! Peter Field in Chicago. That's actually how I found them -- they were tailors with a side business of tie making when I was first introduced...now it seems they're branching out to more stuff. (Sadly I think they're now moving away from ties.)
My tailor just started selling some neat looking microfiber pocket squares on kickstarter. See them here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nicholasmonterotti/microfiber-pocket-squares-made-in-america I'm stuck as to which one I want. I currently only have a white linen square, but want to work some more pocket squares into my outfits. I'm leaning towards the patch. Obviously 12x12. Thoughts?
Some interesting microfiber pocket squares on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nicholasmonterotti/microfiber-pocket-squares-made-in-america.* *full disclosure: the guy making these is my tailor (but I have no financial interest in them)
Happy to help, however I can.So the fabric is a summer weight wool, and I got it through their MTM program. I don't remember the exact name, but if you make a MTM appointment and ask for (1) a summer weight wool, (2) in a mid-to-light grey, (3) in the lower price range for wools (although I don't think this was THE cheapest of the wools), that should narrow your choices down to 3-4 ... and this should be one of them. I think, but am not 100% sure, that this is a...
Ok, so I just found out that my great-grandfather had a diamond stickpin that I can use. I like the general concept (of incorporating a family heirloom into my wardrobe), but have no idea to wear it. Any sense as to how something like that would look as part of my outfit? I assume you wear this like a tie bar? I don't have any pics of it (or know what it looks like) because it's in a safe deposit box.
Ok, so I just found out that my great-grandfather had a diamond stickpin that I can use. I like the general concept (of incorporating a family heirloom into my wardrobe), but have no idea to wear it. Any sense as to how something like that would look as part of my outfit? I assume you wear this like a tie bar?
Thanks, Mimo. I'm actually starting to lean towards looking for a different tie (one with a little more character -- but still wedding-appropriate). Any suggestions as to where I should look?
Any thoughts about this navy tie for a wedding tie (I'm the groom)? I'd appreciate other thoughts as well -- I'm concerned that one of the b&w ones here would be too monochromatic with my suit (and I'm planning on going w/ a white pocket square and a white lapel flower -- lilly of the valley). FWIW the tie in the pics is probably a tad bit richer of a blue than it appears -- and it's a grenadine weave.