or Connect

Posts by Lighthouse

How can we be certain?
Beat you to it
This thread has become a sort of "home room" or virtual water cooler. It is quiet most of the time, and then a flurry of activity occurs, not all of it focused on Transparency or Moderation. If a mod like emptym wants to keep this streamlined, I'll comply, but it has been nice to have a specific area to go once in a while and check in. Kind of like the designated meeting place at an amusement park. I'd be happy to open up a "Home Room" thread, but perhaps a mod's...
How interesting that you pick the three names that pop into my head every time I hear the word. Yes, if you want to talk in those terms, we really don't have an American genius.
Agree. I love quarks and string theory as much as the next guy, but genius can be found in music, art, literature, rhetoric, and cooking.
The hard sciences have already been well represented in the thread. One could argue that any PhD in physics is a genius in terms of raw intellectual power. But I don't think listing Mensa or physics faculty was the purpose of OP; after all, Teddy Roosevelt was included in the list.Your view of genius is far too narrow for purposes of this thread.
Good list.EdisonHemingwayBernsteinFrostJohn Marshall Harlan II
We'll have to break this down a bit. Pure IQ points is not going to do it, because there are plenty of geniuses who you'll never hear about. So it has to include accomplishment, too. That being said, there are 10 American geniuses.
Hubble
Lighthouse OTT