or Connect

Posts by Lighthouse

Quote: Originally Posted by munchausen The professionals that get rich buy a bunch of other professional's time and then resell it at a profit. You mean like leveraging the work down to associates or non-shareholders, paying the salary and pocketing the difference?
Quote: Originally Posted by acidboy if any of you are planning a meltdown next time, would it be so much to ask that you do it in the evening (north american time)? I keep missing out on this dammit! I think this is reasonable request.
Quote: Originally Posted by cross22 500k may be a bit high, but there are plenty of people who earn high salaries and aren't wealthy. They live in slightly better homes, in better parts of town, drive later model cars, and send their kids to better/private schools. However, they would lose their home and everything else if they lost their jobs and couldn't find another one for an extended period of time. A wealthy person would be able to maintain a...
Getting anything from the medicine cabinet, and having 2000 plastic bottles, band aids, and empty medicine boxes falling down in a nuclear chain reaction, leaving you shaking and emptying the whole drawer in the hopes that, at some time, your doctor gave you a bottle of Xanax.
Quote: Originally Posted by bob99 Mark Cuban (billionaire, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, film producer) has written about this on his blog. He's a proponent of the "no shortcuts" school of thought. Excellent, thank you.
Quote: Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues To me it meant knowing that in the beginning I would get paid the least and last, that "delayed gratification" regarding luxuries would be my mantra and and it may take years to realize my financial dreams. On the other hand, whatever I made was because of my devotion, skill and execution of my duties. I put my head on the pillow at night knowing that it was my business and I would make it no matter what. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues I agree, it is having the courage of your convictions regarding accumulation of wealth and trusting your instincts and talents. Striking out on your own, whether it is owning your own business or making investments taking the risk. A salary is provided to those who let others take the risk for them IMO. By either Manton's or DonCarlos' standards, I'd be quite happy. I would assume that striking out...
Quote: Originally Posted by Don Carlos In this sense, no, trying to maximize a corporate salary and squirrel away as much money as you can save over 30+ years is not going to make you wealthy. If you want to become really wealthy, you need to take risk and work your ass off to realize the return on that risk. OK. This is what I am kind of driving at. Is "Get Rich Quick" a fool's errand?
Quote: Originally Posted by Don Carlos A former titan of my particular industry put it this way: "Nobody ever got rich off a salary. No matter how high the salary." If you want to get rich -- I mean fuck-you-money rich -- then you need to own something. That can be real property, it can be intellectual property, it can be a company, it can be a monetized idea, it can be patents, it can be a personal brand, it can be privileged access to something...
Quote: Originally Posted by bringusingoodale I thought middle class was just a euphemism for working class with too many credit cards. Good point. But let's assume that its the pre-2005 middle class. No credit card debt, buys cars rather than lease, changes own oil, no hired help, buys store brands, maxes 401K. I often wonder whether such concern over conserving what I do earn is preventing me from a whole new level of prosperity. I like...