or Connect

Posts by tunnelrat

Quote: Originally Posted by SamSpade I'd go as far as to say that most people will look better wearing gruff and disheveled stuff rather than have everything polished and just right. The endless obsession with detail is highly counterproductive for unleashing the "X-factor". I've grown to realize that all you need to do is get the basic fit and rules, and then WRECK them (but not on purpose, which would defeat the whole idea). Just roll with it. You don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Made in California Vox made a great point about the x-factor a few months back when discussing a famous pic of Steve McQueen with his Ferrari... First, I think that the ultimate sex symbol here is the Ferrari, which is so damn gorgeous...but that's another topic. Actually, I would say the opposite, I don't like the first photo at all. It looks to me as an "average guy with a cool car". The second one, although S...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Moo How old are you? Your clothes really remind me of my granddad (I mean it as a compliment).
Quote: Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse I don't think anyone is supposed to be able to explain what the "X Factor" is....that's why it's called the X Factor. It's an indescribable quality, some people have it, most people don't. If there were a formula to it, and anyone could put together all the elements necessary to achieve it, then it would defeat the whole purpose of having it in the first place. I agree, however, this is not a serious...
You live in NY, it's not like there's not enough tailors. If you want to save money and have a regular build, you may buy off-the-peg from any respected store and have it altered by a really good tailor. You'll save a lot of money and still look better than 95% of population.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lear Most people will never produce head-turning results. They simply do not have the 'X' factor. Another BS question: what do you guys think is behind that X factor? I'm not sure whether it's always a genial sense of style. I travelled a lot through Europe this summer and looked carefully how the people were dressing in various countries and often spotted incredibly (Sartorialist-like) dressed people who didn't look...
Quote: Originally Posted by Holdfast ... The association and positive loop is cemented with further reinforcement on subsequent wearings, so the clothes become a mental short-cut for placing yourself in that mindset (viz Tiger Woods and his Sunday red shirt). It's not really any different to a sportsman with a lucky jersey. ... Very good answer, that's exactly what I've meant. It actually isn't that far from the NLP (I'm not a big fan of it...
Quote: Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia You should read about DSM schizotipic personality disorder and magical thinking... Yours are clearly the symbtoms. Haha, thank you, Dr. Freud, but I don't think it's that bad. (I had a minor in psychology btw, so I've heard a thing or two about magical thinking.) It's not that when I don't have my favourite piece of clothing, I expect a bad day. Cmon, don't you feel and move differently when you...
Quote: Originally Posted by cimabue I tuck my shirt into my underwear when I need a boost in confidence. Good idea! Do you also close the fly on your trousers for the same effect?
Do you wear any specific kind of clothes because they give you a certain feeling? E.g. I like to wear a black pullover waistcoat over my shirts, because it somehow makes me feel safe and gives me a feeling of distance from other people. The same goes with boots, if I wear them I immediately feel stronger and more confident. Do you have any such items or rituals with special meaning for you?