or Connect

Posts by The Silverfox

Nice ties, that kind of printed yellow is a bit underused I think, including by me. Not too formal, but still formal enough. The madder especially looks very soft and plump, looks like it'd drape like a dream, which should go well with the "soft" style of the color and print.
Hello there Mr. Postman, what's that you say? A package for me from Thailand? Ok, fine.... I'll take it. Pictures are pretty true to real life, though of course the midnight blue Macclesfield appears much lighter in the bright sunlight than it does when used indoors or in the evening. An interesting thing about the brown tie is it actually turns kind of blue in strong light. I'm guessing the warp used in the weave is midnight blue, so it doesn't normally show, but when...
That's really nice. Good degree of rumpledness (is that a word?) making it more casual and less polished but not getting so rumbled that it threatens to ruin the line of the suit. Is that a knit tie?
I can see why it would be, which tailor did you use?Both the color and the look of the fabric seem perfect for a casually elegant summer suit, so assuming the cloth is cool-wearing enough that's gotta be close to the perfect summer suit as far as I'm concerned.Is there enough wool and general weight in the cloth to prevent it from wrinkling the way linen tends to do? How heavy is the cloth?
I guess I like to go for the happy medium, brightening dark hues with lustrous weaves and tempering bright colors with more interesting but less flashy weaves. To me a tie just needs to have something about it, and with my navy grenadine it just seems so dead. So if the color is very muted, I feel it sort of needs to have more luster in the weave to balance, but I fully agree that grenadine does what you say it does, I just don't find myself wanting that effect too much....
Just noticed the bonus question. I just got the burgundy diamond weave a little while ago (go back some pages and there are pics, though it's darker and deeper in real life than in the pictures) and I have to say it's absolutely spectacular. I bought it based on some older pictures from this thread, and it's even more awesome in real life than I thought. A classy power-tie if ever there was one. Sublime in a subtle way is probably the best way to describe it, if you know...
Well... if you want to be technical about it (who doesn't?), yes a wool tie is generally a seasonal tie. That being said, there's a big difference between a tie that looks like a shetland sweater and a tie that looks almost indistinguishable from a silk tie. So while wool *should* be reserved for cooler climes/seasons, it's not going to look strange if you wear this in any place/season because the look and feel of the wool is so subtle I highly doubt any casual observer...
I'm hardly an expert on this, but I think you need to draw a distinction between what you're actually talking about here. "Fresher" can mean different things. Are you talking about feeling dry, or feeling cool because the two are not the same. The way the human body works is that sweat is created to conduct heat away from the body. The longer the sweat remains on the skin, the more heat we lose. Feeling clammy may not be enjoyable, but it should be a good way to lose...
Gah you bastard, you keep tantalizing us with ties that are out of stock. But come August, I am picking up the gauntlet and getting that one. Except of course I'll have the stripes going the *right* direction, from my heart to my swordhand. Incidentally it'll be my first striped tie.
@Claghorn You're really killing it with the color-combinations in that pic. A navy that's not too dark, but not overly vibrant either and with a bit of texture. And enough patterns in the shirt and tie to make things interesting but subtle enough to make the overall aesthetic clean. Great look, nice balance between creativity and restraint. @pinkpanther So the faille is still quite wet then, compared to the average. I always felt diamond weave to be reasonably wet. As for...