or Connect

Posts by SimonC

Is there any rationale to what gets made up with handrolled edges, and what gets made up self tipped? Voting in favour of the former, in case it helps...
Like the pair above, it's actually 'No' or number; don't ask me why they write it that way. So yes, should normally be a UK 11.5 given they were sold by a UK retailer. Gotta love Lattanzi - crazy expensive shoes where someone has just written on the insole in biro....
Well worth watching this selection of archive footage on Peal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSh5g0nz5rk
The (in)famous Dover, probably Edward Green's most iconic model due to the handsewn (with a boar's bristle) split toe. In this case, on the classic rounded 202 last with a double leather sole, and with 'Dark Oak' uppers. UK 11 / US 11.5 in the 'F' with, so slightly wider than EG's standard 'E' width. Generally good condition - a little patina, a slight scuff on the underside of one toebox (pictured) and with some slight delamination of the sole layers (I've had multiple...
Those who know Gerald and Diana's products will be familiar with the quality - for those who don't, here's a chance at half retail. Beautiful 52% silk / 48% linen fabric, with a bicolor navy-turquoise weave. Measurements are a little longer and slimmer than Vanda standard at 59" long and 3.25" wide. Beautiful depth to the colour, which may not come out in my photos.... Worn perhaps 3-4 times, and with no flaws. This fabric is sold out, but for a new Vanda you'd be...
Purchased from the Drakes factory store about a year ago, but never worn. Just looking to recoup what I paid: A really stunning piece - double sided silk (e.g. two layers to the scarf) with serious dimensions (19" wide by 70" long) but being silk it's not bulky. Made from madder silk, hand-printed in Macclesfield and then constructed at in Haberdasher Street, London with hand-sewn silk tassels to each end. The current designs on Drakes' website are £385 - I'm asking...
So, gentlemen, how was / is it? This thread was eerily quiet in the run-up and during the event....
That's quite extreme for a day's wear, but not inconceivable. If you do that to leather soles, though, it might be worth getting steel taps added since otherwise you'll chew through the toe long before the rest of the sole has reached the end of its working life.
They are heavy enough that wrinkling is fairly minimal, although some is likely as the fabric softens up. They don't quite drape since the fabric is quite stiff, but from my experience the cavalry twill will be better on both wrinkle resistance and drape.
I have some of their lightweight flannel (9oz if I recall) and tropical worsted and have been more impressed than I expected. They don't exactly wear cool, but they drape OK, with a reasonable handle and from my use so far seem at least as handwriting as one could expect from lightweight flannel.